Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Formula 1 2013

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Why didn't Webber turn his engine up etc when he had Vettel right up his clacker and hold him off? I reckon there is more too it.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Basically speaking he's the poster boy of red bull. Young, European (German) kid, blonde etc. and f1 being a heavily European based sport, hoping with advertising, exposure etc. he'll bring in the dollars more than Webber would.

By the way, I'm not Webber bashing, but be stuck it out when the team was up and coming, with all it's problems and all before Vettel come up through the torro rosso second tier team.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Mark will keep it cool for a few races but when the time comes for him to move over again for the No 1 driver in the team - some how the No 2 car will become very wide indeed. How would give a toss if Red Bull sacked him for such actions as his F1 time is up at RB. A year at Farrari with Alonso would be a very nice end tho.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Webber could also have turned his engine back up but what would it have gained him? The team wanted the cars brought home safe so he did that. Also if the battle had continued being the car that was following could have ruined his tyres very quickly and resulted in a worse situation than coming home second. That and he maintains the moral high ground at least.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I think this is interesting:

"Sauber team manager Beat Zehnder admitted: "He (Vettel) has done himself no favours. This has not gone down well in the paddock generally."

Yes exactly, and then you look at Nico Rosberg, who was clearly annoyed about having to sit behind Hamilton for half the race in fuel saving mode, and yet he still followed what he was told to do. Vettel lost fans, Nico gains fans. All class work from Nico, and I think he earned Hamilton's respect too.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Webber could also have turned his engine back up but what would it have gained him? The team wanted the cars brought home safe so he did that. Also if the battle had continued being the car that was following could have ruined his tyres very quickly and resulted in a worse situation than coming home second. That and he maintains the moral high ground at least.

I'm not sure if he could have turned the engine up from "safe mode". He did say on air it was turned down and when that was done it would NOT turn back up.

I feel that may be the case as Mark held Vettel off and was banging wheels for a short time, and would have turned it back up if he could have I should think.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I'm not sure if he could have turned the engine up from "safe mode". He did say on air it was turned down and when that was done it would NOT turn back up.

I feel that may be the case as Mark held Vettel off and was banging wheels for a short time, and would have turned it back up if he could have I should think.

It's not 'safe mode', the cars have 3 fuel settings, depending on how much power they want to give the car. The lowest setting obviously uses less fuel, therefor giving it less power. It can be changed by the driver at any time. Mark had no reason to disobey the team.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67