Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Free Upgrade to SHELL VPOWER

Status
Not open for further replies.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Caltex fuel definatly doesn't get anywhere near as much milegage as say Mobil fuels!

As for BP, i'm not too sure where they get their base fuel from, but i do know Mobil has higher pecking order. I've had some bad experiences with BP which is why i went for Shell and didn't have any trouble with them. The only trouble i did have was a customer service issue. Only used VPower and Mobil 8000 in my VY, wouldn't put in anything less.

Mobil, Caltex and BP are all the same fuels, exactly the same for regular unleaded. PULP only differs in the cleaning additives. Then theres Shell who also supply some of the independant chains like Liberty (used to supply SAFF as well, but they've just been bought out by MOGAS).

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Mobil, Caltex and BP are all the same fuels, exactly the same for regular unleaded. PULP only differs in the cleaning additives. Then theres Shell who also supply some of the independant chains like Liberty (used to supply SAFF as well, but they've just been bought out by MOGAS).

So is shell fuel any better or worse than that of mobil, caltex or bp?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
As VN2NV said, the regulars are all pretty much the same. It's the premium petrols that separate the men from the boys :)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
So is shell fuel any better or worse than that of mobil, caltex or bp?

Put it this way... I will never use it in any of my cars and I have banned my gf from using it also and she drives a bloody Ford :p

On a seperate note, I don't believe in purchasing from Woolworths or Coles branded service stations but not because of fuel issus (unless its a shell) but because they shouldn't be allowed a duopoly in both the supermarket sector and the fuel sector. Plus, they charge more at the checkout and more at the pump (usually 1-2cpl more expensive anyway than non-supermarket service stations) to recoup that 4cpl discount they give on the fuel. Yet there are suckers across the country lining up at these places giving them massive profits. Shop at Foodland or IGA and support a local business for christs sake, especially when Foodland is normally cheaper anyway!

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i used to run 95 in the Nissan Patrol i used to own with a 5 litre injected engine in it and it ran better on Caltex based fuels.
I convinced my wife to run the SS on Vortex and NOT E10. On vortex it gets about 11 litres per 100 over the week.... she ran it last week on E10 and it's averaging about 13.5 so far. So when she fills it tomorrow, it gets filled with 98 again.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i usually try and find a safeway caltex for my gas, it's always the cheapest there. at one point there was a safeway caltex that stayed at 37.6cpl for about 3 weeks longer than every other servo (all jumped to 50cpl).

i'll never buy shell again.

doms3

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
Woolies and never had a prob,BP on the other hand I wont buy from them everytime i got diesel from em it seemed to get used up alot quicker than any other brands diesel

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
It's been on the cards for awhile, we just had to wait for the memo. I'm not bias towards any fuel but since I work for an outlet only sensible to fuel up before I leave each week. Don't forget the jerry cans :yeah: . I'll be one of the first :p finish at 12am sat night/sun morning. Shoot across the road and fill up.

TGM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec '05
Hmm, my mechanic told me this and my experiances back it up:

Shell and BP source thier fuel from the same place, my car runs the same on them and neither are that great. Stay away form independants, they need to make a buck moreso than big companies so they skimp o nthe petrol.

That E10 crap gave me rough idles and horrible exonomy, stay away from that.

Mobil is the best, I definatly get the best mileage using premium mobil compared to the other guys premium fuels. And it works out cheaper than putting in regular.

Also, if you see a tanker filling up at the servo don't fill up form there for half an hour as there are always impurities at the bottom of the servo's tank and these get mixed up with the rest. Needs a bit of time to settle back to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.