Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fresh rebuild

Burningrubber92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SII 3.8L V6
So I’ve gone and bought a wingless Sprint car motor, It came with a snapped cranky so what I did was put it part rebuilt it. But instead of putting a Buick crank into it I’ve put an eco-tech crank into it with the same pistons and all the bits and pieces for the Buick. I’ll put a double Row timing chain on it deleted the balance shaft, when I start it it’s really lumpy like it’s got a cam but I don’t think it has it cam. Anyone has done this to their engines can they give me a few pointers on how to go about things because I’ve just replaced everything like new gasket saw this and that just wanting to know if anyone’s actually put an eco-tech cracking to the Buick have run

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
So I’ve gone and bought a wingless Sprint car motor, It came with a snapped cranky so what I did was put it part rebuilt it. But instead of putting a Buick crank into it I’ve put an eco-tech crank into it with the same pistons and all the bits and pieces for the Buick. I’ll put a double Row timing chain on it deleted the balance shaft, when I start it it’s really lumpy like it’s got a cam but I don’t think it has it cam. Anyone has done this to their engines can they give me a few pointers on how to go about things because I’ve just replaced everything like new gasket saw this and that just wanting to know if anyone’s actually put an eco-tech cracking to the Buick have run
It can be done but you counter weights will be the wrong weight. The Buick rods/pistons are longer and heavier than eco ones due to the taller deck height.
You will need to get it balanced and extra weight added to the crank. Which won't be cheap. Probably better off fitting a Buick crank.

Burningrubber92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SII 3.8L V6
It can be done but you counter weights will be the wrong weight. The Buick rods/pistons are longer and heavier than eco ones due to the taller deck height.
You will need to get it balanced and extra weight added to the crank. Which won't be cheap. Probably better off fitting a Buick crank.

I’ve rebuilt it already with eco crank in it, I could send you a video on how it ran after first start up. By doing so you’ll have to add my Facebook or some thing like that.
Darren Smith (MrVYcommodore)

Burningrubber92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SII 3.8L V6
Series two Buick cranks are the same as ecotec as far as I am aware? Or do correct me if I’m wrong

H

harrop.senator

They're supposedly the same crank according to mace.

I thought there was a stroke difference.

Also pretty sure v6's don't have counterweights they're externally balanced.

Theoretically if cranks same and you use the Buick flex/flywheel and balancer it'll be fine.

Burningrubber92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SII 3.8L V6
They're supposedly the same crank according to mace.

I thought there was a stroke difference.

Also pretty sure v6's don't have counterweights they're externally balanced.

Theoretically if cranks same and you use the Buick flex/flywheel and balancer it'll be fine.
Thanks mate makes a lot more sense, from what I read the cranks were balanced different or I could be wrong being as ecotec have shorter deck height and conrod a etc or am I wrong there