Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front control arms gone after 53k on GTS

bluejam001

Reaction score
Members Ride
HVS GTS VF
Hi Guys,

Just went for my pink slip, and got these pics back. Both front control arms, front caster arms and sway bar link valves/bushings are busted.
Quoted $1850 to fix the lot, as cannot replace the bushings, have to replace the whole arms as a kit apparently...

Chatting to the local mechanic, they recommended I take it back to the Holden dealer first, and ask if they would fix "on good will" as these items should not be broken after 54,000KM's under normal/low usage. They noted that HSV / Holden, might fix certain items well after the warranty (2013 model) if they have broken before the expected KM usage. They felt these should be due for a replacement around 80-100kms. I only drive in the city and have very low usage.

The last time I took the car for a service, HSV replaced for free several parts that should not have broken at the Kms usage - but stopped at replacing the LED back taillights (several LEDs have gone). I tried to re-raise the LED issue with HSV but they said no (the dealer was surprised as they felt the LEDs should not be gone so soon either).

What's your take on this - and approach to the service centre? Just rock up with the pictures and ask for these to be considered fixed for free due to the milage, call ahead, send pics first - and how to word the conversation?

I guess the reason I'm seeking a free replacement, is because I bought Conti's 1.5 years ago, and the insides of the tyres are bare, they think it was due to the arms having some sway for a while now, 1+ years from my notes, as I asked it to be aligned due to it pulling to the left during the last service and it continued to do this after I left.

$1850 to replace the controls arms etc and also having to stump up for new tyres with just 7,000KM is a bit too much for me, and I think the damage to the tyres (only obvious once on the hoist) was caused by the faulty control arm / sway bar valves.

Anyway - thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone else has had similar issues and been successful getting parts replaced by Holden/HSV that should not really have failed before 54,000KM or more/less?

Someone on another forum also mentioned there are recalls on some items or they are aware of issues to certain parts failing before their time - so always worth asking what can be replaced under goodwill etc...

Attachments

• IMG-0919.JPG
    IMG-0919.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG-0917.JPG
    IMG-0917.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG-0921.JPG
    IMG-0921.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG-0920.JPG
    IMG-0920.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 336

bluejam001

Reaction score
Members Ride
HVS GTS VF
Calling Mr Skylarking...............
I’m a bit past skylarking at my age mate lol best i manage is driving kids to school off drop and back up the road these days!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I can’t speak directly about the VF as I don’t own one but would I think the suspension setup should be the same as the VE? If so 54,000kms seems very early for worn suspension parts unless it’s been run into curbs, wheel stops etc.

I‘ve got a VE SV6 with well over 320,000kms on it now and it’s never had any suspension parts replaced. Still tracks straight and true and the tyres last well over 40,000kms before requiring replacement (I do mostly highway driving) and the rear wear out before the fronts do.

You should get in the habit of poking your head under the car and checking your tyres regularly for irregular wear as you might have spotted the problem earlier and potentially saved the tyres from getting chewed out.

I’ve made a habit out of it now with my cars after not checking the tyres on my SV6 in the past until I was driving to work and had to pull over because the car was making a thumping noise at the back. Turned out to be a strip of one of the rear tyres hitting the bodywork because the inner edge of the rear tyres had worn down to the steel belts! :eek: The outer edges still looked fine so I hadn’t noticed that they were worn out until I actually got down and had a look.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Calling Mr Skylarking...............
hahaha… it’s late now but I can suggest the op reads the sticky thread “sudden loss of power steering when driving” as that would give him some understanding of Australian consumer law.

I can add some comments when i have some time… maybe some time tomorrow :p

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
OP’s location states Sydney… I wonder which stealership? I know some get different treatment dependent on the where you go so perhaps take it to a different one to get a second opinion for warranty / ACL claim? Have seen that a large company that does HSV and Holden servicing heading down the Hume towards South West Sydney (opposite train yards) I believe have been a bit hit and miss and would find any opportunity to make $$$, while I have been turned off by the Holden servicing one in the adjacent suburb located on Milperra Road. I deal with one further north towards Hornsby who have been excellent so far but I haven’t had the OP’s issues so can’t provide any concrete answers as to what they’ll offer there.

Other suggestion is perhaps to raise it direct with HSV customer care and seek their opinion - provide them with photos and perhaps the dealer’s diagnosis and see if HSV direct will be willing to direct the servicing dealer to rectify at no cost?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
One of those is a swaybar link. That’s a 10min job and I wouldn’t pay anyone to do it. It’s also a really cheap part.

The second part will have the ball joint pressed into the arm. You can bet it can be replaced but would be quicker to swap the part

The inner tyre wear looks nasty and to me wouldn’t be due to the worn ball joints. More the three things might point to something else.

Has the car been lowered?

I can’t get my head around that quote to replace those two things. They won’t be be GTS unique parts.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I should add that because both those parts could be replaced for a cost of around $100 or less, I’d want proof they were sourced from HSV.

Did that quote for repair include tyres? If it included tyres then it would seem more realistic.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
One of those is a swaybar link. That’s a 10min job and I wouldn’t pay anyone to do it. It’s also a really cheap part.

The second part will have the ball joint pressed into the arm. You can bet it can be replaced but would be quicker to swap the part

The inner tyre wear looks nasty and to me wouldn’t be due to the worn ball joints. More the three things might point to something else.

Has the car been lowered?

I can’t get my head around that quote to replace those two things. They won’t be be GTS unique parts.

I believe the ball joints on the lower control arms on our VE are integral to the arms and therefore cannot be replaced separately.
VF will be the same.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hi Guys,

Just went for my pink slip, and got these pics back. Both front control arms, front caster arms and sway bar link valves/bushings are busted.
Quoted $1850 to fix the lot, as cannot replace the bushings, have to replace the whole arms as a kit apparently...

Chatting to the local mechanic, they recommended I take it back to the Holden dealer first, and ask if they would fix "on good will" as these items should not be broken after 54,000KM's under normal/low usage. They noted that HSV / Holden, might fix certain items well after the warranty (2013 model) if they have broken before the expected KM usage. They felt these should be due for a replacement around 80-100kms. I only drive in the city and have very low usage.

The last time I took the car for a service, HSV replaced for free several parts that should not have broken at the Kms usage - but stopped at replacing the LED back taillights (several LEDs have gone). I tried to re-raise the LED issue with HSV but they said no (the dealer was surprised as they felt the LEDs should not be gone so soon either).

What's your take on this - and approach to the service centre? Just rock up with the pictures and ask for these to be considered fixed for free due to the milage, call ahead, send pics first - and how to word the conversation?

I guess the reason I'm seeking a free replacement, is because I bought Conti's 1.5 years ago, and the insides of the tyres are bare, they think it was due to the arms having some sway for a while now, 1+ years from my notes, as I asked it to be aligned due to it pulling to the left during the last service and it continued to do this after I left.

$1850 to replace the controls arms etc and also having to stump up for new tyres with just 7,000KM is a bit too much for me, and I think the damage to the tyres (only obvious once on the hoist) was caused by the faulty control arm / sway bar valves.

Anyway - thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone else has had similar issues and been successful getting parts replaced by Holden/HSV that should not really have failed before 54,000KM or more/less?

Someone on another forum also mentioned there are recalls on some items or they are aware of issues to certain parts failing before their time - so always worth asking what can be replaced under goodwill etc...
I’ve got a 2017 VF, it’s just had a 60,000k Service. No reports of any of your problems, and the original Bridgestone Turanza tyres lasted this long.

I would imagine something out of the ordinary is wrong with your car, as you say you’ve had several items fixed or replaced in the past. I would approach the conversation with the service centre on this basis. Or just show them what you have written here. Good luck.