Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel consumption/kms per tank - ve v8

michael.meli

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
i get 11.1 city and 9.6 h/way without being heavy footed

michael.meli

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
it a manual ssv i really dont push it as i ussally have the 2 kids with me

KARMA 6L

mmmmmm 6.0L
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS Manual
I figure you buy an 8, drive it like an 8. Still never been below 17.4/100 for a tank in the SS and that was a week with lots of driving with the missus and litl'n, typically around 19-20/100 when I'm by myself. All city driving, lots of bumper to bumper. My avg speed is usually around 37km/hr.

I didn't buy her for fuel economy though did I!

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
My litres per 100 are:
18 for city, 9 when cruising and 15 mixed. Comparing with other posts here I can only assume that I am disadvantaged by the automatic gearbox because even driving like a nun the city figure doesn't change.

I have noticed that the 'box changes up when certain speeds, and not revs, have been reached e.g. 3rd gear at 30km/h, 4th gear at 40km/h 5th gear at 50km/h. This is even in direct shift mode and choosing to change up manually. Which makes it impossible to make the best savings especially when you can see the traffic conditions and want to change up or down.

I have also noticed that feathering the go pedal is pointless and this may be due to either the auto's fixation with speeds (as above) and/or the sheer mass of the car.

Any other hints for improving fuel economy?

Pete in Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, V8
Bought my 2008 model ex-demo 6L VE Calais V in January this year, with nearly 4,000km on it when purchased, and I've added just over 25,000km in under six months.

I reset the trip meter at the end of the first tankful, and the current fuel consumption (for over 25,000km) is showing as 9.9L/100km. It is actually quite close to 9.9 and heading slowly down so it might sneak under 9.9 in a couple of months. Lots of country driving. Motor accelerates impressively strongly when pressed. :) Enjoying the ride.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i drove from here to Penrith in Sydney via the Putty Rd yesterday.... those that know it know that it's windy in places and hilly..... i averaged 11.7/100 on the way down, driving reasonably steady.... it was very foggy on the way down, and lots of roos!! Had it serviced, injectors cleaned and retuned, as they always do, and drove it hard through the entire length of the road, including working the stability control fairly hard on the "10 mile" section.... and averaged 11.5 coming home!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: very happy indeed!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It all sounds rather nice 10l/100 untill you drive a little 4 cyl that's better around corners and makes 5.2l/100 :p then you really have to stop and think is 10l/100 any good at all

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Shh, greenfoam, we don't talk about those here! You mean to say that there are numbers smaller than 6?

OTOH, it sounds pretty good to me - my old Buick 3800 drinks about 12L/100 around town and will easily reach 14 with an enthusiastic right foot - I'd love to have the power of the 6 litre V8's and be getting 11L/100!

stu-k

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS AFM
Thats good greenfoam if your 4 foot tall and don`t have a family, trailer etc