Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel? - Does it make that much of a difference?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I think the true test is in your fuel filter anyway (or detonation, less of an issue for N/A). Try your brands run a few thou and then swap it out and see. Kms and power are bonuses but really you just want the stuff to be clean.

The Caltex up the road from me sells some filthy **** (95 and 98).

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
I think the true test is in your fuel filter anyway (or detonation, less of an issue for N/A). Try your brands run a few thou and then swap it out and see. Kms and power are bonuses but really you just want the stuff to be clean.

The Caltex up the road from me sells some filthy **** (95 and 98).

I change my fuel filters every 3rd or 4th service(10k),on the clubby I'm going to fit a cleanerable filter and clean it every service to start with an see how dirty the fuel gets then gauge from there on end as to what I see.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
At the end of the day engine tuners recommend the higher octane fuels. Fuel companies claim that the higher octane fuels burn cleaner and will give you a small increase in power. Of the two i'll believe the two tuners i've had dealings with before i believe the big fuel companies.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
CHE in Sydney do a conversion to flex fuel for about $1500 for an SS

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ yeah so does OzTrack. The conversion obviously includes e85 optimised tune that will get an extra 15-20rwkw over a 6.0 SS running any brand of 98.
Being the middle of summer holidays is timely to point out that premium 98 is $1.75/litre at the moment, whereas ethanol is under $1.30 (save $33 per fill). Also car runs cooler and cleaner (and smells fresh).

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Personally I find that the 98 doesn't give extra performance, but I have noticed 91 e10 provides far less torque in lower ranges. I was on a 'scenic' drive of macquarie's pass with a tank of e10 and I really had to keep the gears right down. I find 98 gives my car abit more up and go when pulling out of hairpins and slow corners, I don't have to keep going down to 2nd as much to feel the power.

I have no proof, but anecdotal observance is that 98 has far better economy over 91.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Personally I find that the 98 doesn't give extra performance, but I have noticed 91 e10 provides far less torque in lower ranges. I was on a 'scenic' drive of macquarie's pass with a tank of e10 and I really had to keep the gears right down. I find 98 gives my car abit more up and go when pulling out of hairpins and slow corners, I don't have to keep going down to 2nd as much to feel the power.

I have no proof, but anecdotal observance is that 98 has far better economy over 91.

Unless it's tuned or specified to , 98 does stuff all , most European cars like my Alfa , will run better on it , but due to there not being 98 available in my town it gets 95 , same as the VZ
Some people get the placebo effect of higher octane fuels , I think 95 is a good medium , for most cars .

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Unless it's tuned or specified to , 98 does stuff all

Pretty sure the manual for my cars says it'll run better on 98? Its e10 compatible but says to expect a drop in performance and economy. Must make the ss tuned for 98 then?

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
definitely the fuel matters
new fresh fuel is alot better than old fuel but the servo needs to be pumping through the fuel to keep it fresh otherwise its crap
a car might be fine on a bit of old crappy fuel but when you put it in your chainsaw, lawnmower, bike, kart you can really notice the difference
i ran some elf racing fuel in my chainsaw and definitely noticed a difference with the way it revved and the torque it had and smelt way better too :)

also theres probably nothing wrong with ethanol in the fuel but it does burn faster giving worse fuel consumption, it may even give you slightly more power

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
definitely the fuel matters
new fresh fuel is alot better than old fuel but the servo needs to be pumping through the fuel to keep it fresh otherwise its crap
a car might be fine on a bit of old crappy fuel but when you put it in your chainsaw, lawnmower, bike, kart you can really notice the difference

Agree, worst fuel I've had was BP ultimate from port road once, car kept stalling etc running rough, topped up with 1/4 tank ofV power and got better a few kms down the road