Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Economy for supercharged 6.0L

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
id say when its tuned the injectors were scaled and the calc for the fuel used info wasnt corrected as well, the 5.5L is about half what actual would be so thats telling me your injectors where scaled by half which is what they do when they dont fit the flow limit in the ecu

this is showing correct 600-650 for 73 litres is about where they are, so my theory on the fuel usage calculations may be right, easy check if u can read the tune file, and seeing in your pic showing instant fuel at 3.2 for 58kph is about half what it should be
I converted it back to miles/gallon and l'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I had his highway consumption at 37.5 mpg.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
I converted it back to miles/gallon and l'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I had his highway consumption at 37.5 mpg.
Just did the calcs for my massaged V6 and it gets 35mpg on the highway, so I would expect a supercharged V8 to drink more than that.

LSA.Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais
id say when its tuned the injectors were scaled and the calc for the fuel used info wasnt corrected as well, the 5.5L is about half what actual would be so thats telling me your injectors where scaled by half which is what they do when they dont fit the flow limit in the ecu

this is showing correct 600-650 for 73 litres is about where they are, so my theory on the fuel usage calculations may be right, easy check if u can read the tune file, and seeing in your pic showing instant fuel at 3.2 for 58kph is about half what it should be
But my speedo is accurate, my fuel guage works and I just did a 610Km return trip (distance verified by Google maps) and still have almost a third of a tank of fuel.
The trip included being stuck in traffic crawling along at a snails pace for 1.5hrs and my brother gave the car a good flogging when I got to his place (I'd probably have almost half a tank left if it wasn't for him).
I don't care if nobody believes me.
I was going to put a cam in it but I'm so intrigued by the fuel economy I have decided to leave it be for the time being.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Maybe the original diff ratio, 3.08? Still have the original one? If so, put that in& compare?
Nah, long gone
Both are options, but the link immortality posted will reduce your rpm drop on the 1-2 change as well (making it more like a close ratio gearbox).
Not sure if that's an issue for you, but it's a downside on most 4l60 cars.
I agree, currently 1st gear is not good for trying to get a decent 60ft on street tyres (275/40 17 Toyo R888R) at the drags, with the torque from the supercharger trying to launch hard from the dig is tricky to say the least

But, on the street it isn't a issue, I typically drive around in the left lane like a granny anyway, and in reality the car was built as a fun street car/cruiser, not to be competitive at the drags or roll racing, just something fun, fast and reliable, that can also tow a trailer with my bike, or shirt load of rubbish to the tip.....LOL

In the end I know for a fact that the taller gears will help from the dig and with fuel consumption just cruising around, and the car does alot of just cruising around and hwy driving, going to the drags is really only on the rare occasions, and mainly only to see what real world performance gains modifications have given me, which I basically judge on my MPH, which I'm pretty happy with, at 122 MPH it ain't the fastest thing, but it isn't slow

In saying that the car will hit the strip again once I do something else to it, if I can get a 2.0 60ft and drop into the 11's with taller gears on the street tyres I'll be happy.... (not my tuner though, he wants me to put on drag radials and shoot for a low 11/high 10)

If taller gears don't get me a high 11, then maybe I'll look at the carrier

LOL, lots of beer money for 0.5 seconds

On the roll from 60 kph the R888R, whilst squirrely do hook up well :D

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
But my speedo is accurate, my fuel guage works and I just did a 610Km return trip (distance verified by Google maps) and still have almost a third of a tank of fuel.
The trip included being stuck in traffic crawling along at a snails pace for 1.5hrs and my brother gave the car a good flogging when I got to his place (I'd probably have almost half a tank left if it wasn't for him).
I was going to put a cam in it but I'm so intrigued by the fuel economy I have decided to leave it be for the time being.
Whats it reading at idle, not in drive with aircon off? Regardless, your getting good economy based on amount used. The fact 07GTS has bought up a potential reason as to the ultra low displayed usage, why not speak to Russo and get it checked. It's obviously not going to change what's important though. If it is inaccurate, you can move on to that cam!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
nothing to do with speedo, if injector data is not correct then it affects everything from then on and if tune is scaled it affects the usage reading, if u reset all trip settings when u fill up then when the tank is empty and u fill 73 liters what does the fuel used read 73 liters (or within a few liters) as well of lower ? if u can actually get 1000-1200km from a 6.0L with blower then i want to know how or help point out a issue with the tune ;)

LSA.Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais
Whats it reading at idle, not in drive with aircon off? Regardless, your getting good economy based on amount used. The fact 07GTS has bought up a potential reason as to the ultra low displayed usage, why not speak to Russo and get it checked. It's obviously not going to change what's important though. If it is inaccurate, you can move on to that cam!
It is idling at 1.7L in park, no air-con.
nothing to do with speedo, if injector data is not correct then it affects everything from then on and if tune is scaled it affects the usage reading, if u reset all trip settings when u fill up then when the tank is empty and u fill 73 liters what does the fuel used read 73 liters (or within a few liters) as well of lower ? if u can actually get 1000-1200km from a 6.0L with blower then i want to know how or help point out a issue with the tune ;)
So at a quarter tank now it is saying 35L used (it should say that at half a tank).
When I get to empty I can't imagine it will say any more than 55L used so you may be onto something

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

So at a quarter tank now it is saying 35L used (it should say that at half a tank).
When I get to empty I can't imagine it will say any more than 55L used so you may be onto something
it will just be a single value in the tune that needs adjusting (halved) to suit the scaling of injectors, something im sure they do with them all just prob missed this one, scaling the injectors as the early e38 ecu is limited to 63.5lb injectors u can get around it by doubling stoich 14.68 to 29.36 and then halving the new injectors flow rate so its under the 63.5lb limit so example 80lb inj would be value 40lb, this all works well as it offsets itself, only issue is the doubling of stoich tells the fuel calc that ur injecting half the fuel so they added the value for the calc so it can be corrected as well

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE

How many revs at idle? My cammed 6 pot uses between 2.3 and 2.7 at idle at about 725rpm