Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel economy

sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
sorry, auto box, no aircon on, 80km to work through 20km of hills then the rest reasonably flat, another 15-20km around town then, then the same back home. have a little it of fun in the hills, nice tight winding stuff.

And this is on standard ulp

V

VX_KN079

I drive a 2000 VX Series 1 3.8 V6 Auto.

I run REGULAR 91RON UNLEADED petrol from Mobil, Shell, Caltex or BP (i.e. no el cheapo companies) but certainly not over rated over price petrol.

Around town (Canberra) I get between 550 - 600 kilometres. On the highway is varies a little depending on how far I'm driving. If I go to Melbourne, I can get all the way there from Canberra and drive around once I'm there until I've done aroun 900km on one tank. I can drive to Sydney non-stop and drive around once I'm there until I've done 750 - 800 kilometres on one tank.

And I would say I use the a/c at least once a week regardless (so the seals don't dry out and crack etc) and in summer about 50% of the time). I haven't noticed any huge differences when using a/c but I'd say I wouldn't get as far when using it. Maybe 50km less or so...

I follow the Holden service intervals (i.e. no extra oil changes etc) and have any extra maintenance done they recomend (e.g. ultrasonic bath for the injectors at 50,000km & 100,000km, complete brake system bleed and service at 80,000, new throttle body, new front suspension bushes, new steering rack (scheduled to be installed since the original one's seals are leaking) and other things I can't think of offhand). I also run 35psi all on the original rims with Bridgestone Potenza S-03 tyres...

So yes, there is something wrong with the milage you are getting (referring to the OP).

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
VX_KNO79...... how many liters can you squeeze in the tank when you did your fill ups from empty to full ?...

RUS-14N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Wagon Executive V6
Most of you guys are claiming that you're getting 10-11 l /100???

The original specs of ECOTEC claims 12l/100 on Urban area and 7.2/100 on highway.

And that's them trying to make it sound as good as possible.

I think the question is, how much you stop, and accelerate, what kind of driving, and how much load you have in your car.

I tried to drive my car for one full tank as slow ac i could, and only got 450 kms on a full 63-65 L tank on my wagon. I use it for work, so I got an extra 100-200 KGs of stuff in the back, plus all the ladders, will put a little resistance on the highway, and me doing antenna installations, I do a lot of constant driving stopping between customers.

Yes, when i go to and from places on the highway, ITS MUCH BETTER, I got 500-550 on highway driving, which isnt too bad.

So for people that use theri cars to travel to and from work on the highway, good on yas, you guys are saving lot more petrol unlike myself and a some others.

That's what I think

ilovemyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
about 500k a tank, 95octane shell fuel. i notice that putting the foot down every so often puts a hefty dent in my fuel consumption. i'm not sure if this works in the vx but apparantly taking the positive terminal off the battery resets the ecu, so when you restart the car it retunes all the settings... give that a burl and see how you go.

V

VX_KN079

Hairy Eater said:
VX_KNO79...... how many liters can you squeeze in the tank when you did your fill ups from empty to full ?...

About 65 usually...

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I maintain a spreadsheet to track my costs and fuel economy. The current average of more than three years driving is 12l/100km (416km from 50 litres). 75% of that has been Sydney city driving.

My wife's VT2 Berlina hardly ever gets warm during the week (dropping kids off to school and local shopping). The dash always shows between 15-16l/100km for that! But I try to give it a decent highway drive on weekends and it gives excellent mileage (8-9l/100km).

The Berlina does about 5,000kms/year and my VY does about 10,000km.

beamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s1 lumina
My 2001 3.8 auto VX gets 620 to 650 km around town with plenty of stop starts and I get 850 km plus on the highway. Only mod is k@n air filter and have tried running premium and standard unleaded and get same results. I also never turn the air con off.

nunny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Economy

Smooth highway driving in my VT Calais (90 - 110km/hr) average about 9litres per 100km. Stop start city driving average speed (40km/hr) including dropping kids at school and work and back average 13 -14litres per 100km.