Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FUEL Efficinecy is bad and gauge is reading wrong

BOR15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
there is an iphone app called fuelly. when you fill up you give it odo, cost and ltrs. it works the rest out for you and tells you how your car is running. you can also manage multiple cars

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Is it really su cking a lot of juice or does it just seem like it cos of the well known gauge problem?

Daniel Buggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore VX
there is an iphone app called fuelly. when you fill up you give it odo, cost and ltrs. it works the rest out for you and tells you how your car is running. you can also manage multiple cars
Thanks mate will do download the app and try it out

Daniel Buggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore VX
Is it really su cking a lot of juice or does it just seem like it cos of the well known gauge problem?
Probably from the gauge problem but I also feel like it drinks a lot of fuel, but at the same time I’m not sure how either of them happen

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Probably from the gauge problem but I also feel like it drinks a lot of fuel, but at the same time I’m not sure how either of them happen
The gauge is only showing the information it gets from the sender in the tank, so if the sender is stuffed the reading will be wrong.

I just run mine with plenty in the tank even though it's never given me any trouble at all.

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
You didn't do something silly like remove the thermostat did you? The engine will run rich until it reaches correct operating temp. The engine needs to be above 80 degrees for the correct Air/Fuel(stoichiometric) ratio.

Also you never mentioned your average speed? Someone stuck crawling in peak hour Sydney traffic will use waaaay more fuel than crusing down the motorway at 110 to work each morning

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That is incorrect. modern EFI systems go into closed loop mode fairly quickly to reduce emissions, in the case of the ecotec engine I believe the threshold to go into closed loop operation is that the engine coolant has reached a minimum of 30° C and the engine has been running for 60 or 90 seconds (and obviously it's getting the correct signal from the O2 sensors).

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
OP stop measuring your economy on k's per tank - it's not a metric.

km/L is a measurement of fuel economy.

As others have stated it sounds like the gauge is out just get an auto electrician to sort it for you.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
That is incorrect. modern EFI systems go into closed loop mode fairly quickly to reduce emissions, in the case of the ecotec engine I believe the threshold to go into closed loop operation is that the engine coolant has reached a minimum of 30° C and the engine has been running for 60 or 90 seconds (and obviously it's getting the correct signal from the O2 sensors).
Closed loop operation, doesn't have anything to do with coolant temp.
They do go into closed loop quickly, due to the inbuilt heating element.
But the O2's wont go into closed loop, until they are heated to above 360 c.