Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
Sorry, my poorly worded post. I meant to say “it was prudent for them to simply flat bed your car to the dealer” so no criticism intended towards you.

You’ve done all you can considering the public holiday situation.

Bloody Murphy and his timing :rolleyes:

All good.

I just thought that going through Holden Roadside Assistance and getting NRMA out was the first part of Holden triage.

I don't know what other people did when they had this problem. Holden Roadside Assistance first or just straight to the Dealer?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I don't know what other people did when they had this problem. Holden Roadside Assistance first or just straight to the Dealer?
Early in the piece, some people paid to have the faulty injector changed :oops:
Now, dealers and Holden understand the issues better, so if injector resistance is low and/or if DTC's are flagged, all 8 injectors get changed under your ACL statutory warranty rights (which Holden loves to call good will if you're out of manufacturers warranty period) :p
Sometimes they still need reminding ;)

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
Early in the piece, some people paid to have the faulty injector changed :oops:
Now, dealers and Holden understand the issues better, so if injector resistance is low and/or if DTC's are flagged, all 8 injectors get changed under your ACL statutory warranty rights (which Holden loves to call good will if you're out of manufacturers warranty period) :p
Sometimes they still need reminding ;)

I will let you know how I go.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will let you know how I go.

ok. The car is fixed and Injector no. 6 did die.

But they only replaced the dodgy injector so going by others here where they said all 8 were replaced, I will follow it up later on.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

But they only replaced the dodgy injector so going by others here where they said all 8 were replaced, I will follow it up later on.
I have a feeling that now that holden is shutting the door they will be less inclined to do anything they dont have to i.e. replace all injectors vs replacing only the faulty one.

Holden was never known for great customer care/support and I have a feeling it will only get worse now that there is **** all to lose....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a feeling that now that holden is shutting the door they will be less inclined to do anything they dont have to i.e. replace all injectors vs replacing only the faulty one.

Holden was never known for great customer care/support and I have a feeling it will only get worse now that there is **** all to lose....
Yep, we should all have made a big public stink about these known defective injectors all needing to be replaced under ACL statutory warranty defective product provision via a recall process. That way unplanned vehicle downtime could be avoided.

Now it seems one can in theory have 8 unexpected down times and 8 trips to the dealer to get their known faulty injectors fixed, one at a time. Lets hope that's not the case.

I'd ring Holden Customer car and question them over the issue and the fact it's a known defect where others have had all 8 injecters replaced at the one time. I'd want and demand clarity and equity in customer treatment regarding this known defect.

Matt_VFSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Morning! First time poster here. I stumbled across this forum while researching this exact failure in my VF SSV yesterday morning.

I must say the replies and experiences in this thread have been extremely helpful, so thanks very much for everyone sharing their stories about it.

My car is a 2015 SSV, out of warranty by 2 years now. Yesterday morning when my wife went to go to work, the "SERVICE ESP" warning came up, the check engine light came on, and it ran like a tractor. So onto a flat bed it went and off to Holden.

They called me not long ago and told me all 8 injectors need to be replaced at a cost of $890. I queried the ACCC position on it, and the reply I got was "I'll have to ring head office and see what they say. Those cars that you're referring to had only just run out of warranty, so it might not be available to you"

I politely asked her to confirm that and let me know. Will see what they say. From what I have researched, they'll more than likely have to come to the party so fingers crossed.

In a stroke of good fortune, John Cadogan uploaded a video on this exact issue a few days ago which I also found very helpful.

Fingers crossed my car is back and operational soon enough without me having to have forked out $900 odd.

Cheers.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Matt_VFSSV just keep in mind that ACL provides not only the statutory warranty (that I love and manufacturers hate) but also has provisions for compensation for damages and loss.

In that later context, as the vehicle wasn’t drivable, and especially if the dealer suggested it be trucked to them to avoid potential damage, then the towing costs is something that Holden should reimburse (or pay for directly if you’ve yet to receive the tow charge).

You probably won’t be able to hit them for hire car costs but if parts availability is delayed, thus delaying the repair, you could request a loan car that Holden should cough up.

From your perspective, you shouldn’t be out of pocket for the repair of this known defect and any associated costs you’ve had related to the incident.

Matt_VFSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
In that later context, as the vehicle wasn’t drivable, and especially if the dealer suggested it be trucked to them to avoid potential damage, then the towing costs is something that Holden should reimburse (or pay for directly if you’ve yet to receive the tow charge).

You probably won’t be able to hit them for hire car costs but if parts availability is delayed, thus delaying the repair, you could request a loan car that Holden should cough up.

From your perspective, you shouldn’t be out of pocket for the repair of this known defect and any associated costs you’ve had related to the incident.

Thanks for the tip. Holden didn't specifically ask me to tow it to them, so I wouldn't push that aspect. I had the majority of the tow fee covered in my roadside plan, and I only had to fix up the last 15km or so, which I'm not too concerned with, especially if Holden come to the party on the repair costs.

When I spoke to them this morning, she indicated (before the ACL discussion) that the work could be carried out today, so I'd hazard a guess and say the parts are readily available at the moment. I was going to suggest they go ahead with the replacement today anyway, given that it's only going to be a conversation about who is actually paying, but figured I wouldn't push it too hard, as I don't want to create any waves beyond what I'm entitled to. If/when "head office" approve it, it should be done pretty quick. I have the fortunate luck to have other cars to use in the short term, if need be.

Matt_VFSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
*Update* - As of 5:15pm same day it was diagnosed, all 8 injectors replaced, covered by Holden.

There you go guys, the system works.... Provided you go on the offensive. They would have been quite happy to take my $890 had I not questioned them.