Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel level

Vikimr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2006 omega
Hello all
I have issues with fuel gauge.When I filled my ve 2006 commodore tank full.The fuel gauge is at half of the meter.Then I checked the fuel level in engineering mode.it is also showing wrong.Kindly suggest me what could be wrong.
Thank you

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
most likely the level sensor in the tank
engineering mode is just a digital interpretation of the same information

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hello all
I have issues with fuel gauge.When I filled my ve 2006 commodore tank full.The fuel gauge is at half of the meter.Then I checked the fuel level in engineering mode.it is also showing wrong.Kindly suggest me what could be wrong.
Thank you
Sounds like the fuel float might be stuck. How often do you fill it all the way? If you havent filled it in a long time corrosion can make the fuel level sensor not work correctly. I would run a few full tanks through it first and see if it comes good.

If not then the fuel sender might need to be replaced. This might be problematic if your car doesn’t have an access cover under the rear seat to access the sender unit.

Apparently from what others on here have said the early VEs have an access cover but I cant verify if that is accurate. I’ve got 2009 model VEs and they don’t have an access port so replacing the sender means dropping the fuel tank, which involves dropping the rear subframe IIRC.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Just remember, the ve has 1 pump but 2 level senders due to the saddle bag tank design. On my new scantool, i can actually see each senders voltage which has allowed me to verify both are working as designed. Maybe see if a mate has a scantool or try supershyte or ripco. The usually charge $15-30 to scan a car and may narrow down the issue for you

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if the sender is out of range it will show an error on the dash, both senders are linked together by earth and the resistance is taken individually to the bcm i think then the figure is put together and halved to give u the reading from each side as a single volume, if u have no warnings then it may have an issue where the float may have fallen off or something and one side is stuck on empty with the other side showing full will make the gauge only go to half way, if u know u have a full tank then that will be able to be seen with a scan tool as mentioned

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
if the sender is out of range it will show an error on the dash, both senders are linked together by earth and the resistance is taken individually to the bcm i think then the figure is put together and halved to give u the reading from each side as a single volume, if u have no warnings then it may have an issue where the float may have fallen off or something and one side is stuck on empty with the other side showing full will make the gauge only go to half way, if u know u have a full tank then that will be able to be seen with a scan tool as mentioned
Do the senders touch the bottom of the tank when empty? Maybe fuel residue sticking it down? Would a love tap with a tonya harding help to maybe free it up?

Vikimr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2006 omega
If this is the issue do you know approx cost to fix.

Vikimr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2006 omega
Do the senders touch the bottom of the tank when empty? Maybe fuel residue sticking it down? Would a love tap with a tonya harding help to maybe free it up?
Yeah when the display shows low fuel.the pointer in the gauge goes down as well

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
If this is the issue do you know approx cost to fix.
the senders float sits just off the bottom, should be nothing in there to be able to hold it down after some time unless something has gone wrong, if the float gets excessive wear in it then they can slide off the metal arm they are on but that is rare, not sure on cost would have to see mechanic as tank if needs to be removed will be costly, testing it should show whats going in