Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Full syn trans fluid

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Just jam the cheapest dex3 or type f in it you can find and happy motoring .just going from Dex3 to type f changes the shift properties of the valvebody. Trans fluid blends are the right right amount of slippery for lubrication without causing slippage and being the right viscosity to fill the correct passages at the right speed through the small holes

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just jam the cheapest dex3 or type f in it you can find and happy motoring .just going from Dex3 to type f changes the shift properties of the valvebody.
What's the difference between dex3 and type f?
It's funny how little info there seems to be on the net on transmission fluid compared to engine oil.
And just from my own experience, the first time I serviced my trans and power steering with the Nulon MV Full Syn the difference in the way the car ran was un #$&@ing believable. Absolutely blew me away.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm just gonna stick with what the trans tech put in, which was syn. I have the Nulon now so will use it. I trust the trans tech because he is the best in the state. It's the reason you used to wait up to 4 months to get in. Now you can not even get in because he is so booked out. I have no doubt you blokes running DX3 have no issues but that's not why I asked the question. I was always gonna run syn just the brand i needed to check as i heard Penrite caused problems and was hoping Nulon was going to be ok.
I know you blokes on JC know most things but I have been given bad advice before from very knowledgeable members, that turned out to not be the best move.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
We use type f cause it has a higher heat rating and faster more positive shift much like b&ms own fluid they sell for crisper shifting

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I trust the trans tech because he is the best in the state.

And a very small state it is indeed which increases the margin for error indeed. ;););)

I to basically use only Synthetic oils in all my vehicles except in the trans. But in saying that I to have been conned by all these oil companies that are basically modifying mineral oils and calling them synthetics. The more you look into it the more you'll see that marketing plays the biggest part in the greater scheme of things. Here in Australia we have a huge oil industry, but look at Japan and it doesn't exist, yep no pallets of oil in Supercheap stores over there as the oil that's put in the car will still be in it when they piss the vehicle off to the scrap yard and start the process all over again with a new car.

My mate across the road is sold on Nulon as it has Teflon added into it which isn't new technology by any means. There was a whole cottage industry around many years ago of selling door to door products like "Swipe" and many others that were basically an additive that you added to your oil that contained Teflon which were to fill all the microscopic lows within the metal when machining and create a smooth finish, thus much less friction. They ran cars across Australia with only Swipe in the crankcase to prove that how good the product was and that oil is all wank factor and a huge money making industry. In many ways they were correct but the public at large were so indoctrinated by the oil companies that they break into that market. Thus brands like Nulon decided to mix the two products together and do it that way, the best of both worlds it seems..............and it worked.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
What's the difference between dex3 and type f?

Type F was for Fords which used different specs to many others, thus many GM orientated transmissions used Dexron and then 2,3,4 onwards.

From Castrol's Website,

CASTROL TRANSMAX TYPE F

Designed for use in older Ford vehicles (pre 1982), with the special friction characteristics of Type F fluid. Meets Ford: M2C33-F and M2C-33G specifications.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
"I to basically use only Synthetic oils in all my vehicles except in the trans"
So what do you put in your tranny?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sheesh boys, I wasn't expecting to spark such debate on a simple question. Probably should have known anything lube related goes viral, lol. I'm not saying DX3 wouldn't suffice, just that syn will be better for me as i don't have to get it serviced every 20k. Instead I can wait 40k. I have run syn for years and it has been fine. I don't care if it's an extra $4 a litre. Considering the Y pipe needs to come off each trans service the longer i can wait to service it is a good thing.
In the engine i use mineral and what ever is the best special at the time. I just try to get an SL rating or higher.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Losh,

No furor intended, just passing on some knowledge that I've learnt from being conned by oil companies. They spend millions in their marketing keeping us ill-informed.

Is it due to your modified exhaust that you have to remove the Y piece ?, as in standard exhaust there's absolutely no issues with encroachment of components.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There should be more oil threads, particularly transmission fluid threads because part of the problem is nobody talks about trans fluid lol, which makes them uninformed when they walk into the parts store.
My take on so called Full Synthetic oils and fluids is they are essentially high quality refined oils made from mineral stocks. Or in other words, they're the best thing you will find for $40 a bottle. And I sure ain't paying $80-100 for the real thing because I don't need it.