Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Funky shudder

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yep, saw that
I wonder if warranty is still a thing?
Yes Holden and dealers still provide warranty though they are getting more combative from what I’ve read.

1st thing you need to understand is what warranty you speak of.

Factory (voluntary) warranty may be 3, 5 or 7 years from date of 1st registration and depends on what deal was on offer at time of the original purchase. For example my MSE commodore has a 7 year factory warranty from begining of 2018 so in theory it’s still covered for a bit longer.

Used car warranty may be 3 months or 5000kms from,date of purchase if you bought from a dealer.

Australian consumer law may apply if the car was bought from a business and it doesn’t have a duration specified in law so the length of that coverage is variable and depends on a few factors.

Added to that is the fact the TC defect is known and one could argue Holden should have recalled the impacted cars and fixed them all so the problem doesn’t exist for subsequent buyers… Such could help to argue with Holden/dealer.

Whatever the case it’s always a trade off between ease of paying for the repair yourself verses the hassles and headaches of pushing for your rights in law to be upheld.

But are we even sure it’s the known TC defect that is the root cause of your shudder? I wouldn’t be walking in to any repairer and preempting their finding by stating you think it’s the TC (=easy way to give an unscrupulous mechanic a licence to rip you off) :rolleyes:

probbo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 STORM
Yes Holden and dealers still provide warranty though they are getting more combative from what I’ve read.

1st thing you need to understand is what warranty you speak of.

Factory (voluntary) warranty may be 3, 5 or 7 years from date of 1st registration and depends on what deal was on offer at time of the original purchase. For example my MSE commodore has a 7 year factory warranty from begining of 2018 so in theory it’s still covered for a bit longer.

Used car warranty may be 3 months or 5000kms from,date of purchase if you bought from a dealer.

Australian consumer law may apply if the car was bought from a business and it doesn’t have a duration specified in law so the length of that coverage is variable and depends on a few factors.

Added to that is the fact the TC defect is known and one could argue Holden should have recalled the impacted cars and fixed them all so the problem doesn’t exist for subsequent buyers… Such could help to argue with Holden/dealer.

Whatever the case it’s always a trade off between ease of paying for the repair yourself verses the hassles and headaches of pushing for your rights in law to be upheld.

But are we even sure it’s the known TC defect that is the root cause of your shudder? I wouldn’t be walking in to any repairer and preempting their finding by stating you think it’s the TC (=easy way to give an unscrupulous mechanic a licence to rip you off) :rolleyes:
Skylarking...... great reply. My converter was replaced under used car warranty.
And absolutely OP should get it diagnosed. I was going to suggest a Pedders check as a first step. I have seen other posts regarding similar problems and causes have been engine mounts, tailshafts, etc

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
I think my only choice is to get RACV to check it wherever, and hope for the best
Supposed to be out of airbnb by 10 am, and my eldest son has been admitted to hospital overnight in my home homebase Mildura

probbo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 STORM
I think my only choice is to get RACV to check it wherever, and hope for the best
Supposed to be out of airbnb by 10 am, and my eldest son has been admitted to hospital overnight in my home homebase Mildura
I hope your son is ok.......I kept driving mine until I could get it done so fingers crossed yours should be ok to keep driving. Good luck

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
Thanks. Too scared to keep driving it

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Service book is only stamped, no details
I place little value in a stamped service booklet other than it may have been serviced… may have been because stamps are easy to make and not every owner is truthful…

If it’s been serviced at a Holden dealer, you can ask for a printout of all the service receipts which should contain much detail including any warranty work performed and any complaints or concerns raised by the previous owner during a service booking.

If it’s been serviced by an independent 3rd party, they may or may not have much detail within their service receipts but you could ask for what they have...

Alternatively the owners booklet should also contain the original owners info and the selling dealer should have provided the previous owners details so you could contact one or both of them to get some more history that may not be known to Holden. Stuff like crash repairs tha5 won’t be in any service docs comes to mind…

Its all part of finding out the history of the car so one knows what servicing may need to be done and when… Some car buyers will as a matter of prudence change all oils (engine, trans, diff and power steering if not electric), coolant and brake fluid if the service history is vague or unknown.

Good luck with finding out more about your car and fault finding the root cause of your current problem. And hope your son is better sooner than later.

All the best.

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
Thanks for your wishing my son well
Mechanic has quoted me 1000 dollars to service the trans and changed left front wheel bearing
I'm not convinced but what choice do I have?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks for your wishing my son well
Mechanic has quoted me 1000 dollars to service the trans and changed left front wheel bearing
I'm not convinced but what choice do I have?
Did you make it home to Mildura?