Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox / Engine volume inside cabin...

mr_sikma

Reaction score
Members Ride
REXXXY, SIKMA, Kia Rio
Hey guys,

Just had a mechanic check done on a 2010 SSV manual Wagon with 37k kms...

Only thing that come back was the rear power window had a minor noise going up and excess cabin noise from the gearbox / engine but not due to mechanical parts.

The mechanic said it wasnt a mechanical issue but an interior noise dampening part was possibly to blame? I had a look inside and noticed the plastic side panel around the gearbox had come loose which could be to blame?

Are manuals generally noisier than autos or is it a common fix?

Thankyou

Craterface

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV GTS
Even with identical manual gearboxes some are noisier than others (manufacturing tolerances) usually not a problem if it's not that loud, its just gearbox rollover noise.

Do a Google search on T56/TR6060 gearbox rollover noise, quite common.

Crumbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
I drove a number of cars before I bought one I liked, I'd say about half of them had some gearbox noise.

I took my car to my mechanic after I bought so we could put it on the hoist and get the dealership to fix anything wrong(there was only one thing which I had organised to get done prior), and I brung up the gear box noise, and what I'd come across driving others, he said yeh it's nothing, perfectly normal for them.

mr_sikma

Reaction score
Members Ride
REXXXY, SIKMA, Kia Rio
Oh awesome!

My mechanic was comparing to his Clubsport which probably has better insulation!

I knew it wasn't a serious issue but wanted another opionion.