Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen-F2 GTS "T"-Boned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
that chassis around the bottom of the door is all one piece with the rest of the body so can be tricky, i hope its ok and not too damaged there structurally so they will allow the repair of it, seen one way back in the day that was a stat write-off because of that area but there's was worse then yours looks, even tho it was fully fixed it was never allowed back on the road, hopefully yours is more cosmetic
Yeah. The outers are all fine to replace.
The other bit is super hard steel (or some description to that effect). It doesn’t look bent or damaged beyond what could be pulled true once the outer is off.

I’d like to think that’s repairable. Lucky no unique parts used there. (GTS bumpers etc.)

Also a credit to the design to hold up like that.

I can only imagine the depth of shock you must have been in. Absolutely gut wrenching.

I trust you are ok physically?
I’ll be the better person and hope the others person is as well.

If it gets fixed, she should have to wax the car every weekend for a year or so.
giphy.gif

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Jury is still out whether or not it will be a write-off
How much is the repair quote?

It's certainly fixable and should still be able to buy the rocker panel dog leg section new. Door and 1/4 panel is nothing. Side skirt doesn't look too bad either. It's hit the back wheel by the looks, does the suspension seem bent?

Sorry that happened to your GTS, that would piss me off massively!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Is it just me noticing, or is the tyre a little glazed on the top, and there is a collection of black substance below the rear of the sill on the ground.

Now I'm not saying you did a burnout in anger, or for a last time incase it is written off.
But....... ;)

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Sorry to see that mate

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Sorry to hear about the crash, I hope it works out for you. I got hit in January in my X5 by a women running a stop sign, this damage creased a frame rail and cost the insurance company $70K to repair, i couldn't believe they didn't write it off.
car.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bugger.

Hope they don't write it off.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sorry to hear of such troubles, and hope all in the car are fine.

From some stuff I’ve seen, it’s repairable damage as Holden itself have defined the process of such repairs and even provide sectioned parts as well as the whole side pressing.

Really anything is repairable if price is no obstacle :p

The only question is what an insurance company is willing to spend on repair a car which is usually capped 70-80% of the cars value. And from what I’ve seen on carsales, it seems the cheapest Gen2 GTS at asking $90k (excluding ORC). That would mean repairs can approach $63K-$72K band before economic write off is on the cards (unless there is structural damage and it must be listed as a structural write off (but even that can be questioned)).

Obviously if your GTS is not the cheapest out there, the cars value and thus repair limit would be correspondingly higher.

Obviously it’s a headfcuk dealing with such issues and it can wear some down but don’t be in a hurry to settle so take your time. And always best to deal with the better insurance company which may be your insurance company if the lady was driving a budget car covered by a budged insurance company.

Good luck with it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the other thing insurance companies look at is the cost of repair compared to the cost of payout and selling the vehicle.

if they know they can save money by paying you out and selling the vehicle they will do a repairable write off which is why sometimes you see vehicles written off leaving you thinking why did they do that the damage was not that bad.

in the end they dont give a sh!t about your emotional attachment to the vehicle, they care for the dollar.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
the other thing insurance companies look at is the cost of repair compared to the cost of payout and selling the vehicle….

in the end they dont give a sh!t about your emotional attachment to the vehicle, they care for the dollar.
Very true since $$ saved is what they are focused on…

An insurance company’s 1st tactic is to undervalue your vehicle since vehicle value has the biggest impact in any further decisions they make… Their valuation must always be countered which these days is easy to do with just a little google research.

In the carsales link above, the cheapest GST is $90K but the next cheapest is $105K and they go up from that. So there is scope to push the vehicle valuation up considerably higher than what the insurance company would first offer as a valuation.

They can’t force you to take a low offer and they have an obligation to follow the conditions and intent of their policy and their advertising… Having good price information is the game and then negotiate with them intelligently and without emotion or urgency as aiming for a quick settlement works against the owner…

Whatever the case, the less involved an owner is, the more benefit the insurance company extracts (by reducing their costs) out of the car owners misfortune.

PS: I’ve been in the exact position where an insurance e company would profit from my theft claim (on a 3rd party fire & theft policy) as they capped payout to $5k and the salvage costs would be similar in value which would mean they‘d be square while I’d be loosing $5k odd since the vehicle was valued at $10-12k. After some back and forth, they laid the $5k and I kept the salvage at no cost to me (which I later sold) so that reduced my loss … Yet all my mates were saying ”just accept it”, “you won’t get anything more”. Insurance companies are odd beasts…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.