Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gilbs' custom VS

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Nice looking car mate, and the power figure speaks for itself. 155rwkw Ecotec is impressive in any ones mind, but getting that power with the mods you have listed is very impressive. I hope you reach your goal of 180rwkw mate, i just got there myself, but mine is forced down the Ecotecs throat. Good Luck with it mate. :D

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Nice looking car mate, and the power figure speaks for itself. 155rwkw Ecotec is impressive in any ones mind, but getting that power with the mods you have listed is very impressive. I hope you reach your goal of 180rwkw mate, i just got there myself, but mine is forced down the Ecotecs throat. Good Luck with it mate. :D

Thanx bud.. your car is quite nice too! Ive been pressured into forced induction for mine too, but i want it to sound tuff and cammy lol i know it wont make as much power as a blown v6, but im not after ultimate power. Not taking away from your's though!!! its a sweet car!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
thats bloody good power for the mods, did removing the balance shaft effect engine/driveline vibrations at all?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats bloody good power for the mods, did removing the balance shaft effect engine/driveline vibrations at all?

Helped a lot by my wizard of a tuner, and also having a 5 speed behind it instead of a auto. Best i could muster up auto was 136rwkw i think.. thereabouts.

As for the balance shaft.. decided to take her out just to see whats its like, also in prep for dual row chain and cam. Engine dances round a bit on idle and car surges a little at low revs (1500 rpm) in 5th. All good other then that.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
Long awaited update...

Got her tuned again a few months ago.

My tuner spent 4 hours on the dyno fine tuning everything he could. The flat spot that some modded ecotecs have down low was eliminated, thermo fan was adjusted to cut in earlier, initial throttle response was increased.

Basically we just about found the perfect balance of good economy/ maximum, and smooth, power delivery. He even showed me how the Delco tuning software works, and ran me through every single variable that he altered (showed the before and after adjustments)

Several dyno pulls netted between 153 and 159kw at the wheels. But the 159was dangerously lean up top for my liking, so he 'fattened' it up a bit just to be safe (shows you that for the sake of 1kw you could potentially nuke your engine!!)

So final results were:
-267HP at the fly (199kw at the fly) This is my tuners calcs. based on about 25% power train loss.. i think
-212HP at the wheels (158kw at the wheels, actual figure)

Only 3kw gain on its best power figure, but that doesnt bother me coz im very happy with the totally renewed drivability. and the cost!! Cheap as..

Also have been saving up some cash money for a few new mods. VE GTS wheels were considered, but later that idea was binned. So i decided to buy a new cam! its ordered and on the way! Happy Times!!

going out in the next few days to buy some other bits to chuck in while im at it, heres the shopping list:

- Custom grind Hydraulic roller cam shaft from Ivan Tighe Cams QLD
- Rollmaster timing chain and gear set
- Chevy LT1 valve springs
- new hyd roller lifters

and hopefully a powerbond race series balancer

Not too sure what power it will make, but i cant wait!!!

gobrien002

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Series II S
seen yours at parkholme shopping centre looks nice

Benji_36

HMAS VR
Reaction score
Members Ride
94' SI VR Stato
did u get sunroof put in mr gilbs ???

Pimpt6

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH LS1 STATEO VR V6 STATEO & VR V6 BT1
Hey mate love what you have done to your machine. . looks killer bro . . Just wandering, who did the sun roof?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
I put it in! it was a $55 special from u- pull- it. two way electric, and it worked.

Cost me $100 all up to do the full install incl. parts... thats rustproofing etc etc

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Dead serious?!!!!! Holy hell, best bargain i think i have ever heard of!!!!
Well done man, where you crapping yourself when cutting a giant hole in the roof?