Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM is considering making Commies in US

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
As far as quality, it doesn't matter where it's built.

GM is GM. As long as the parent company has control of the process / QC / parts, then it makes no difference.

Yeah that seems logical and politically correct however I remain cautiously prejudiced in favour of the basic, inefficient yet proven producers in the West.
When I experience first hand a distinctly better quality (as in quality circles) vehicle from a lawless, corrupt third world then I will still think twice about handing over $60,000 to a corporation that promotes exploitative global business.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Oh ffs..... Why is this news???

1. Holden has been slated for closure by GM since the early 2000's - the only question was when. Hannenburger was shoved out the door because he wouldn't play ball and actually had the place humming. Denny Mooney started the ball rolling by absolutely routing Holden's first class export program and significantly knobbling the engineering department. Holden was expected to fail during the GFC which made GM's decision easy, the only problem was that it didn't.
2. Chevrolet have introduced the ultra low volume SS with the knowledge of #1 on a platform that had 3 - 4 MY's of life left at best. Why bother unless there was bigger things at play into the future?
3. The entire motoring world seems to be overlooking the new Omega platform which is a near straight swap for the VF
4. Since the Camaro downsizing and moving to Alpha to be built at a different plant frees up capacity for the Oshwa plant to build another low/medium volume model along side the cars they already make (Cadillac XTS, Camaro, Equinox, Impala & Regal.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
totally agree 665

I personally believe the commodore name will come to an end and be replaced by something similar from asia etc,if the cars were to come from north America as they say they might it would bring up the same old problem as stated in the article regarding high costs and supply chain,

it will be interesting to see how many people actually buy a commodore if they keep the name that is if they are built elsewhere,a lot of people here I believe buy them because they are built here and keep some people in jobs etc,time will tell-just my opinion

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Bet it isn't called Commodore either. The name only has relevance to our market and it will probably be so different to traditional Commodores (eg FWD) and common to a number of other markets that we will inherit an existing GM nameplate, like we did with the Malibu.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
GM making cars in China is in my opinion a disaster for the company.

One thing we need to remember is that in China, steel manufacturing is highly regulated by the communist govt for a reason. They only allow a soft grade of metal to be made there. They regulate steel manufacturing for fear of weapons being made against them. And guns need very strong steel to function safely.

So if you buy a car or anything for that matter made in china you can but your ar*s the metal is of a very low quality and it will fail with any serious stress on it.

I know this because I have researched the manufacturing of loud speakers for guitar amps. Celestion have moved their production to China and many people have been angry because they are of less quality yet cost the same money. Eminence is a US speaker manufacturer and they will only make them in the US because they insist that the speaker cages are made to their spec and China can't make the cages with steel that is strong enough.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
I agree calaber,only place I know of where its called commodore is here and New Zealand,i could be wrong though

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I agree calaber,only place I know of where its called commodore is here and New Zealand,i could be wrong though

That's right , only other place it's called Commodore is NZ ,
Buick in China
Chevrolet in South Africa
Chevrolet in Brazil and USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Of course they are considering it, there is still a market for this platform and the margins here must be crazy so profits per car would be high.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
A lot of people buy a car because they like it. Most dont know, and dont care where they are made. With the warranties these days, it doesnt make a lot of difference where its made.
If Australia made a shitbox, do you think people would get all patriotic, and buy it because its made here?? Dont think so.