Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GMH tells Opel to stop-the-boats!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
GM-H have been given access to more GM vehicles to choose from, I predict the ZB will indeed be an orphan vehicle like all the Opels from recent years.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/holden-gets-keys-to-entire-gm-vehicle-range-71541

Now that Holden exclusively imports its model line-up from overseas, the Aussie firm has been granted full access to General Motors' vehicle divisions including Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac.

According to GM Holden chairman and managing director David Buttner, no GM products are off the table if they are considered a good fit for Aussie soil.

In fact, even the medium-sized trucks from the States could be brought Down Under, providing a bigger option to sit above the Colorado ute.

This means that Holden's current arrangement with PSA Group-owned Opel will likely only extend to when the contract ends around 2023.

“The facts are we can draw on a fantastic stable of SUVs and trucks,” said Mr Buttner.

“And I spent a week in Detroit back in September as part of my 60 days of immersion, and I had a chance to go to the design studio, visit all the studio, see every clay model, see everything that’s under development for all of the brands.”

Holden currently sells GM-sourced models from Chevrolet and GMC with its Trax, Equinox, Colorado, Trailblazer and Acadia, although Mr Buttner would not say if any Buick and Cadillac vehicles will join the range.

However, Mr Buttner suggested Holden is considering all of its options, making sure that no vehicle goes unexplored.

“If you get in early enough at the platform development stage designed for both right-hand drive and left-hand drive, then really, the world’s your oyster in terms of what you can bring in,” Mr Buttner said.

“You just have to make sure what you’re bringing in, you have to understand the market today, and if we’re planning three-to-four years out, then also what’s the market tomorrow. So, you have to make sure you are bringing in the right product to meet the market at the right time.”

GM vehicles that Holden could consider include the next Chevrolet Cruze small car, the Camaro and Corvette sports cars, the Colorado mid-size ute, the Bolt and Volt electric vehicles and possibly a Cadillac sedan or SUV.

When asked if pulling vehicles with very disparate design languages from GM's umbrella could confuse Holden buyers, Mr Buttner said it was more important to select the right vehicle for the right market.

“It’s interesting, because we have had discussions in terms of the focus of one brand so you have that same face across the product,” he explained. “But the fact that we can draw on a world of cars from different brands, (we ask ourselves) ‘What’s the best vehicle for this segment?’

“So, when we looked at (Acadia’s large seven-seat SUV class), we felt this was a big, bold vehicle, a GMC product that in this market that would suit the market, while the Equinox is a Chevy product that suits the segment it competes in.

VS_Calais_S2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.
But this runs the risk of many orphans under their brand, not just a few. A large variety of low volume cars through GM from anywhere in the world, same as the Opel situation a few years back.

VS_Calais_S2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
I don't think they care about that at all, as people like us are becoming dinosaurs and are no longer catered for, it's just how the young ones have embraced things like cars as a disposable commodity that won't be around much after 5 years and as such they accept that items are here today and gone tomorrow. Marketing has changed and cars are no longer promoted as an extension of one's personality as they were in the 1960's through to the 1990's.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Well said.
Agree with you - well said by VS. We are not the consumers they want any more. Having said that, brands such as Toyota are more careful to have continuity and they are relatively successful.