Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

good 6x9s

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Mate I have no place arguing about car audio, when I go into a audio store I just look at the RMS rating, pick it up and if its nice and heavy it must be good quality!!!! lol

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Mate I have no place arguing about car audio, when I go into a audio store I just look at the RMS rating, pick it up and if its nice and heavy it must be good quality!!!! lol

Make sure you don't pick up a Class D amplifier or any speakers with a neo magnet.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

Haha yeah thats what I used to do. When I got my first car, I had no idea about what stereo system to get or anything about them. Now I know a guy that works at JB Hi Fi and he has taught me a fair bit.

First stereo system I bought (before I knew what was good or not):

Alpine Headunit.
Sony Xplod Front Speakers.
Kicker Rear Speakers (6x9).
Pioneer Sub.
Pioneer Amp.

Later on I sold my sub and amp and bought:

Cadence 2x 12" subs.
Cadence Amp.

Then I wasn't happy with the system, so I decided to change everything. Now I have:

Alpine Headunit.
Alpine Front Speakers.
Alpine Rear Speakers.
2x Alpine Amps.
Alpine Sub.

All that was just in my VS. Then I bought the WH and wanted to get a stereo system for that. It isn't the best stereo system but it still sounds good. It even has Cadence Front Speakers (not Alpine).

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the heads up.

would you mide telling me why?

Both are likely to be very small and very light with very small magnets.

juzzyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Wagon
I don't care if you don't take my advice seriously. I was only giving my opinion. I couldn't care less if you went out and bought (example) Audioline speakers, they will be going to your car, not mine.

It's really a personal preference when choosing what sound system you want, some people like other brands more then others.

The only thing wrong with Alpine is their prices. The 6x9 Alpine type R's have a rather small magnet and the frequency response isn't that great for 6x9's (60hz - 29khz). If you can pick up a new set for $150 you should get them (the new model that is) http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=228http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=228

They sound good and go pretty loud.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not a fan of those speakers, but what are you expecting from a cheap off the shelf generic speaker? There are very few speakers which can play below 63hz in car without a proper enclosure, if you're trying to run them this low or lower they are going to die.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
The only thing wrong with Alpine is their prices. The 6x9 Alpine type R's have a rather small magnet and the frequency response isn't that great for 6x9's (60hz - 29khz). If you can pick up a new set for $150 you should get them (the new model that is) http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=228http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=228

They sound good and go pretty loud.

Yeah you're right, they do cost more then other brands. I purchased the whole stereo system for my VS as a kit, but it didn't come with the rear Type R 6x9's. But they decided to just give them to me as part of the deal without paying any extra. I still had to pay for the install though.

I got the model before the late model Type R's. They showed me how small the magnet was and how light the speaker was and I was actually disappointed with it.