Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

good first cars?

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
A little update I have just looked at a laser GL the only issue is that that it won't start but then if left alone for a while it will start it runs perfectly fine it has the 1.6 carby fed motor on petrol/gas auto transmission a/c and has done 176,000 kays

Last edited:

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Hi all I'm looking at buying my first car and I thought I would put this up with the cars I'm interested in buying so if you can chip in with advice on the car specific to each model it would help me with not having a repeat of the blue wagon any way here is the cars I'm interested in all will be an automatic transmission

1. Vs-vy berlina wagon with the ecotec

2. Subaru liberty wagon heritage spec

3. Toyota camry touring wagon

4. Mitsubishi Verada Wagon

5. Ford Fairmont Wagon (probably a later E serieshttp:/
[URL="http:// http://m.redbook.com.au/cars/details/?R=64880"]
[URL="http:// http://m.redbook.com.au/cars/details/?R=86055"]

The VY/VZ wagon , better still get an Adventra , you can even have a V8 on P's, well in N.S.W.

It will get you out of that boggy festival car park ;)

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
A little update I have just looked at a laser GL the only issue is that that it won't start but then if left alone for a while it will start it runs perfectly fine it has the 1.6 carby fed motor on petrol/gas auto transmission a/c and has done 176,000 kays

Why do you keep looking at cars with something wrong with them?

Here's a good first car: One that doesn't have many/any issues so you can drive it instead of fixing it. As much as I have an interest in working on cars, driving them is generally more fun than fixing them.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm bored and want some thing to work on while my care team argue about things I don't yet understand hopefully it answers the question about why I am looking at cars with problems :beer chug:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I'll give you some info on that laser. Was basically the same as a mazda 323 in the 80s.
Had a 323 with that engine, needed heaps of maintenance to keep running, but in saying that it wouldn't die.
It was also the most gutless car I've ever driven, barely makes it to 110km, and the fuel economy was crap! over 10L per 100kms, probably closer to 13.

Now if it was the turbo version, now that is a much better car, but it will have been flogged.

Honestly, pick something that drives fine, and has no major issues, will be cheap and easy to repair when things go wrong (and easy to find second hand parts), and try to get something newer then 15 years old just coz cars will basically be worn out over that age. I did get a crap car as my first car and had endless issues with it which is why I recommend something at least half decent.

*the crap car was a camira, don't tell anyone

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Get a car that goes !
There's heaps of bits on a stock Commo that you can spend your time and money upgrading.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Why do you keep looking at cars with something wrong with them?

Here's a good first car: One that doesn't have many/any issues so you can drive it instead of fixing it. As much as I have an interest in working on cars, driving them is generally more fun than fixing them.

I agree, when it comes to a daily driver/family car. I enjoy working on classic cars, but when it comes to a daily driver, you want something you can just turn the key on and not be forever under the bonnet fixing it.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
It does run but does require some fiddling around to get it to start

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
What Hangman said, weve given you car enthusiast advice, dont buy a lemon, otherwise catch public transport and work on a freakn lawnmower.

Im sorry man but it seems you are aiming at pies in the sky. Look at whats around you and what you can do with it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Efi shits all over carbys. Easier starting, better driveability, more powerful, smoother and more fuel efficient.

Carby cars should be left back in the 70's mate (weekenders obviously an exception), find something that doesn't have any real problems. The difference between a good or a bad commodore wagon can only be $500. If you buy the cheaper, shittier one, then you'll end up spending much more than $500 to get it to the same condition as one that's in better condition for,just a little bit more cash.