Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good Luck Victoria

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
New rules to be introduced in Vic same as the rest of Aus will mean the road race cyclists will take over the road as they have done in Qld.
Rules are necessary providing everyone abides by them but in Qld the road race cyclists as well as some casual cyclists consider every day is race day and stop signs, give way signs and roads rules in general don't apply to them, and, the biggest problem facing drivers is the cyclist attitude of "If you hit me you are in the wrong.

Yea I know not all cyclists are the same but

How can it be right for 30 cyclists to ride through a stop sign 2 abreast and ignore 3 vehicles coming on their right, then, when they are told they must have a death wish they abuse the car driver.

Cyclists as well as scooter riders, skate board riders etc., will die as long as their attitude remains the same, and the motorist will be in the wrong.

FWIW I too enjoy cycling.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I haven't lived in Melbourne for 8 years now I couldn't stand the bloody things on the beach road then. I've thought about seeing how many of them i could bounce off the bullbar more than once. They think the own the road or the piece they are on anyway.
There is something seriously wrong with this country.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I am of the belief that bikes should be registered and cyclists have licences that contribute to the cost of maintaining and building roads, and to be fair, bike paths etc.

There are some clever people around that could develop regulation around that. It’s not my thing.

It’s clear that although not always motorised, the changing world of transportation means roads are going to be used more and more by vehicles not powered by petrol or diesel etc. Roads should not be of the exclusive use of cars. It’s not fair. But, and a big “but”, ALL road users should have appropriate road use skills, they should have their particular road use vehicle registered, and all road users should abide by the laws applicable to road use.

Maybe a tiered system of electric skate board, bicycle, electric bicycle, etc.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Another piece of legislation not properly thought out, especially since some roads have marked bike lanes. The more crap rules they bring that are impractical the less likely there is to be compliance and the more problems ie crashes.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Easier if a bicycle has a licence plate on it. The rider carries a licence the same as we do.

they can be identified the same as any driver and held accountable for their use of the roads and paths.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don’t mind the idea of minimum passing clearance rules. I have no issue with keeping a safe distance between my car and a bicycle when passing. I would be very grateful if cyclists would also abide by the same clearance rules when passing cars in slow moving traffic.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I haven't lived in Melbourne for 8 years now I couldn't stand the bloody things on the beach road then. I've thought about seeing how many of them i could bounce off the bullbar more than once. They think the own the road or the piece they are on anyway.

There is something seriously wrong with this country.

There is something seriously wrong with you too. Plainly.

How can it be right for 30 cyclists to ride through a stop sign 2 abreast and ignore 3 vehicles coming on their right, then, when they are told they must have a death wish they abuse the car driver.

If they are in a marshalled group, they can. If they are riding on their own, no, they cannot. Imagine also that it is a tall order for the lead cyclists to slam on the brakes when a peleton of 25 are behind them. It is one of the golden rules of group riding: DON'T DO IT! :D

But yes, this (hurtling through Stop signs or not giving way to traffic turning in front or approching from the right) happens a lot, I have seen it too, from both sides: as a road/criterium/MTB cyclist (since 1977) and driver. It is an entrenched negative culture among groups of cyclists (peletons, to use the correct term). But don't assume car drivers are an angelic lot by comparison — that is dangerous territory. By and large, drivers are respectful of cyclists. Consider how much better things are in country regional areas compared to the cities like Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide where conflict among road users is common.

There are, however, specific rules that allow for 2-abreast (SF = single file/ 2AB = 2 abreast) riding, applying to a road with unbroken lines. Where cyclists are riding 2-abreast on a road with double lines, they must reduce to single file to allow cars behind them to pass and may not resume 2AB riding until allowing any and all following cars to pass. It is regrettable this rule is not widely adhered too, particularly as I see it behind the wheel on several roads where cyclist and motorist conflict is common because of a lack of courtesy AND a poor or no understanding of circumstantial rules.

Cyclists as well as scooter riders, skate board riders etc., will die as long as their attitude remains the same, and the motorist will be in the wrong.

The thinking there is wrong, unless there is clear evidence, from e.g. a Police point of view, of the fault. Cyclists can be in the wrong, but most commonly it has been proven that motorists have failed to see the rider, failed to give way or engaged in hit-run behaviour (which happened with a pedestrian this week!)
Other road users are more likely to die or be seriously injured as a result of inattention or disrespect shown by motor vehicle drivers — something that has been reflected several times in news incidents very recently. Scooters, bicycles etc. do not kill peolle (aka the road toll). I have a scooter too, and I am surprised how drivers think I should not be there in the bike lane where I am legally entitled to be.

I am of the belief that bikes should be registered and cyclists have licences that contribute to the cost of maintaining and building roads, and to be fair, bike paths etc.

Why? And given this old bogey has been bandied about from the 1970s, HOW?
Licensing revenue is not exclusively directed at improving the motorists' lot, never was and never will be. The money ends up in State consolidated revenue, and can be used for anything from mowing acres of parks to installing security cameras and bollars in CBDs (as they have done in Victoria) — it goes everywhere, as does income from PINs (traffic fines, red light fines, camera fines etc.). Cyclists, as often the case are also car owners and drivers, in some cases owning more than one car. Nobody has yet been bright enough to explain how they should also be made to pay for roads they use a second time....

I don’t mind the idea of minimum passing clearance rules. I have no issue with keeping a safe distance between my car and a bicycle when passing. I would be very grateful if cyclists would also abide by the same clearance rules when passing cars in slow moving traffic.

You put your car in that position, contributing to slow moving traffic and congestion! It is not the problem of cyclists passing you in your veritable 1km long car-park, as they are legally entitled to ('filtering' and also permitted to pass on the left EXCEPT if a car has its indicator on and is waiting to pass left, in which case the cyclist/s must give what to that car). A cyclist deliberately damaging a car e.g. a mirror, is altogether different; I know I would be riled and would go after him or her. I have heard of this happening where cyclists have come down and made contact and damaged the left hand mirror ... and ridden off as if nothing happened. Drrrft.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As is, cyclists must obey road rules else they can receive fines against their car license. These fines can carry demerit points against their car license. Sadly enforcement is lacking so it just needs police to pick up their game and provide the required enforcement to get the problem cyclists to pull their head in and abide by the laws the rest of us must abide by.

Running 5 abreast, running stop signs and red lights must be enforced and riders fined. If police can’t or won’t enforce the laws, register push bikes and license riders and photos of the offences can be mailed along with the fines... cause governments like such automation.

Currently, too many demerit points gained by a car licensed bike rider while riding their bikes should result in their car license being as useful as a drink coaster, at least for a while :p but for the lack of enforcement :confused:

These new laws distance laws (though good in theory) should also provide for fines for the biker if they pass too close to stationary in traffic vehicles. Why, because in theory when everyone is finally bunched up and stopped at the lights, the lane splitting bikers antics as they ride along result in cars technically braking the law whe they take off. So potential exists for drivers to get a large fine through no actions on their part because a bike rider came up on yje, while they were stationary and thus when the car driver takes off he is too close to the bike... It can become a problem and the law needs clarity which I suspect it doesn't have. Some bile riders will see this as a requirement for cars to stay still as they ride off first. It won’t end well :confused:

I blame the greenies :p:p:p

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
At the risk of upsetting some, I do think that there is an attitude problem with many (but not all) bike riders. Most (but not all) car drivers have a commuter attitude - they just want to get from A to B.

Many bike riders seem to have a racing or sport attitude when riding on public roads. Riding seems to become more about getting from A to B as quickly as possible rather than just getting to their destination.

Have a look at many bike riders... super light weight bikes, dressed in lycra (usually with some faux ‘sponsorship’ branding), and try to ride flat out whenever they can. It’s like they are in a race rather than a commute.

It’d be akin to car drivers wearing helmets, racing suit, and a car with roll-bars, racing numbers on our doors, and planting it when the lights turn green! We‘d be booked for being hoons.