Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye everyone - goodbye forums - goodbye (crappy) holden

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I've had quite a few cars over the years, and not all Holdens. I can honestly state that the two very worst cars I've owned, given the price and age of them, were a 1989 Telstar Ghia which had just over 163k on it at the time of purchase, and the brand new Golf Mk 5, purchased in early 2005 and offloaded for the old Calaber in late 2007.

Some of my Holdens were very old, very tired and needed bulk TLC before they could even be legally driven. But there was an intangible element to every one of them that gave me a sense of satisfaction and I think it's exactly what SavVYute is referring to. There is a sense of national pride, even if they are US owned, to driving and owning something that was designed and built by Australians, to withstand our shithouse roads without rattling themselves to death or our seriously hot summer temperatures without the plastics crumbling into dust or cracking. Other manufacturers have caught up and possibly overtaken the quality and engineering for Australian conditions, but Holden have been doing it for over 60 years and I think they get most things pretty right.

My Captiva has Holden badges but we all know where it was designed and built. The saving grace is that it had substantial Holden engineering and road testing input during its development and under the bonnet is a 3.2 Alloytech built in Australia. That'll do me just fine.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Got rid of the Golf before the 60,000k service was due eh?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I've had quite a few cars over the years, and not all Holdens. I can honestly state that the two very worst cars I've owned, given the price and age of them, were a 1989 Telstar Ghia which had just over 163k on it at the time of purchase, and the brand new Golf Mk 5, purchased in early 2005 and offloaded for the old Calaber in late 2007.

Some of my Holdens were very old, very tired and needed bulk TLC before they could even be legally driven. But there was an intangible element to every one of them that gave me a sense of satisfaction and I think it's exactly what SavVYute is referring to. There is a sense of national pride, even if they are US owned, to driving and owning something that was designed and built by Australians, to withstand our shithouse roads without rattling themselves to death or our seriously hot summer temperatures without the plastics crumbling into dust or cracking. Other manufacturers have caught up and possibly overtaken the quality and engineering for Australian conditions, but Holden have been doing it for over 60 years and I think they get most things pretty right.

My Captiva has Holden badges but we all know where it was designed and built. The saving grace is that it had substantial Holden engineering and road testing input during its development and under the bonnet is a 3.2 Alloytech built in Australia. That'll do me just fine.

GM DAT design studio is a subsidiary of Holden design and engineering so there is a much larger Australian input into that car than most realize, in addition to the engineering and localization engineering that Port Melb undertook. Never driven one, and am probably unlikely to - not my kind of vehicle but from what i've been told the latest SII versions are great. Lots of fruit for the $$$ and do what they are intended for very well.

Reaper

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Don't mention golfs haha, my stupid mother bought a brand new convertible golf back in 2000, three years later at 65k all the hydronic lines to the roof burst and leaked hydronic fluid all through the car. Not pretty.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I've had 4 cars in my life, '89 Ford Laser, 2000 Hyundai Accent, 1997 Hyundai Lantra & 2004 Holden Commodore VZ.

So far.. the only car which had no problems was the Ford Laser.. but doesn't mean i would go get one....

I too am greatly sick of getting cars that die after having them for a short period.. but whether it be a Holden dealership or a standard car yard... warranty or not, you get stung no matter where you go.

Once i get my transmission fixed in my VZ, (yeh that **** itself after only 4 months of getting it) i will have the car for the rest of my loan period on it and then trading it in for something else hopefully new or close to.

Point of my comment is... no matter what car you get, there can always be problems.

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
Is there a 4 door sports sedan or 2 door sports ute that you can get in the price range of 70-80k that has all the opitions of HSV, orther than FPV that is.
Just curious....
I have owned holden my whole life, going from the old sunbird through to a vy and had very little issues. I know they arnt the best built car, far from it. But bang for buck .... I dont know if there are anything else other than ford. Taking into account the servicing and all as well.

My parnter just bought the Captiva (yes I know its Korean), now a lot of people dont like them but for the money and the inside design, they shite on everything else out there!.

Captiva 7 LX Diesel - 43K ( beautiful inside, quite as all hell & torque)
Mazda 5 Diesel - 50-51K and gutless.
Hyundai ix35 / Santafe - 38.5K / 48.5k (ix35 - ugly as eff inside and smallish)
Kia Sportage / Sorento - 40K / 59-50K (sportage - ugly as eff inside and smallish)

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
My friends got a 4-Cyl Camry.. that has no balls and when putting foot down sounds like the gearbox and motor are about to fall out/blow up which cost them $22,000.. about 2 years old.
The inside lacks a batch of features which would have come standard on a $20-$25k Commodore.

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
I would never buy a car that's ex-anything. there's a reason cops get rid of their cars after a short time. Hyandais are fine for going to the shops but can you imagine if cops of taxi drivers used them, theyd be ####ed.
I owned an ex cop car, VT 5L 9C1. Most reliable car ive owned! Clean and tidy. Recently sold it to a mate so i could buy a bike. Still going strong and still looking mint!
Just because its an ex anything dont mean jack. Take care of it, and 9 times outta 10 it will keep going.