Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye... Holden :(

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
No way, I thought Motors Launceston had very few Holden badged vehicles for a reason. I think they may have known, unless they had just planned to stop selling Holden on their own accord. Yep gen spares will be a nightmare to get soon, I suspect. I'd better hurry up and buy the tailshaft bearing i had on my list, as aftermarket ones a junk. Need to figue out what else i need in the shed that needs to be gen before there is no gen options.
My local Holden dealer only had Colorados left on the lot weeks ago. The dealers must have sniffed a rat.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What models are they going to supply parts for? I have a VF Calais V and a JH Cruze SRIV. I can’t really see parts being an issue for either of those for a while.
Holden announce closure, Holden closes and causes an uproar, now Holden name to go the way of manufacturing.... What makes you think GM will be bothered meeting their obligations to supply parts, when they clearly haven't cared about the land down under so far?

Isaac Willett

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS VF Wagon
As newish vehicle owners e.g VF are we best off holding onto our cars or is the cost to run and service them going to be too much?
Hard to tell from here maybe

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Holden announce closure, Holden closes and causes an uproar, now Holden name to go the way of manufacturing.... What makes you think GM will be bothered meeting their obligations to supply parts, when they clearly haven't cared about the land down under so far?

I’m not talking about them producing parts, more that these cars are mass produced and there should be a load of parts out there regardless. Does anyone think that VF parts are going to be rare?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As newish vehicle owners e.g VF are we best off holding onto our cars or is the cost to run and service them going to be too much?
Hard to tell from here maybe

Your V8 will be worth keeping if it was a V6 that would be a different story. If it was a ZB then forget it. The wreckers will eventually charge you to pick them up, just like the Opel Camira flop....

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I’m not talking about them producing parts, more that these cars are mass produced and there should be a load of parts out there regardless. Does anyone think that VF parts are going to be rare?

not for a while when you consider it’s not difficult to find any part for a VT (and older) and they went out of production 20yrs ago.

In saying that, I can’t see there being as many VF’s driven into the ground to the point of scrapping as previous models.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

There will be plenty of consumable parts eg, tailshaft bearings strut bushes and the like. What will have limited warehouse stocks will be those parts that break before they are worn out. Then we will have internet sellers stockpiling and charging a mint because of the supply and demand.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Some of these questions are very easy to answer. In relation to the future of dealers and spare parts, there will be Hyundai/kia/Toyota dealers with Holden spares available through their spare parts departments. That's been the system for years at Holden dealers where other brands were secondary. The tables are simply reversed. Those dealers that survive the blood letting are those with multiple franchises. Some might be scrambling to establish them about now but might have left their run too late.
Future of GM in Australia? Non existent after the end of this year. No more US models then. No Arcadia or Equinox. No Chev Camaro or Corvettes because GM wants out of RHD markets. As for the Colorado, I'd suggest it dies but we get the latest MU-X sold as Isuzu. Trax, gone. We wont get the replacrment model. I reckon the Isuzu will be the only vehicle with any connection to Holden that will be available.
I thought we would end up as GM Australia, but not so. It should mean the Holden name and logo is available for any interested buyers of Oriental origin. Holden by Long Dong Motor Company anyone?