Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Well today I finally painted top of the inlet manifold, something I should have done when I had it off for the cam change then I could have done the sides as well but since you really only notice the top it's done. It's not really as bright and shiny as in photo but that's because the rest of the engine bay came out quite dark in the photo. Also painted the cruise control cable bracket.
Now what stands out is I need to do the engine covers, so that'll probably take even longer. Need to find that grey I'm guessing it's the same colour as the stroker engines are painted
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20160820_171402_zpsnb3lfnj9.jpg.html] [/URL]

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Grr forgot name of grey,easy enough to on sc forum.
It's colour for the stroker engines,red sticker/badge looks off later vs or vt.

Nifty little trick seeing as you're cleaning up the bay is unbolt fuel rail spin the injectors around so you can hide wiring under fuel rail & covers.

Use compressed air first to blow any debri or junk away beforehand so nothing goes down holes before you do it & after bit of spray on injector seals or replace if need be.

As a caution,pop out f/pump fuse fire her up wait for it to stall..no more pressurised fuel.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that I'll definitely do that at some point soon. The 185 badges I put on as they were missing when I bought the ute , guess they went M.I.A when previous owner painted all the covers. I know they're meant to be silver but I like the grey, I recon it looks better.
First thing but is radiator out yet again. When I opened the bonnet to paint manifold , noticed this.
20160821_131825_zpsl3ql7bki.jpg~original
20160821_131825_zpsl3ql7bki.jpg~original

I knew it was leaking ( a little weap from tank and a leak from tube to tank at lower passenger side ) I've just been putting it off. I feel like I've been donating money to the coolant supply people !!!!! Some of it my fault!!!
Long story is!! radiator leak repaired in april 2015, then towards the end of the year hall effect sensor went capput , decided to take manifold off as thought it would be easier that way to change dissy and coil. Then in december decided not only to keep ute but to modify it a bit.
End of april radiator and manifold off again along with everything else needed to do a cam change. Put it all back together, ran the cam in. Fired it up again the next day and after that would't start, just struggled to crank , tried jump starting , put battery on charger still on good . While under ute looking at starter motor noticed radiator is leaking again ( at least it's from a different point ) , Starter's friyed , pulled it apart and tried fixing it but ended up with a new starter.Got the ute tuned and then out with the radiator again and off to be repaired again !!!
So hopefully third time lucky , fingers crossed and all that stuff . Probably take it out on tuesday , give it to radiator guy wednesday and have it back on friday

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I think 185i decals might be correct,just looks weird to me on dark grey covers.Vaguely remember grey decals too.

Tend to get them mixed up like the maloo guard stickers except red s3 sticker I like & wrecked one out.

Keep thinking Atlas grey is cover colour but sounds wrong when say it haha

Your ute reminds me of brother's old vr maloo ute,same colour fitted up with all s3 maloo bits...was quick daily once he let me the do basic mods(shiftkit,exhaust,diff gears + more),he still regrets selling it lol.

Last edited:

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Dont see many of these around anymore, coming along nicely.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dropped radiator into get fixed, hopefully, this afternoon.
Yeah gray engine badges were strokers.
The angular, silver , black maloo badges were vr, vs I, vs II. Can't get silver ones anymore, have seen after market ones but they're not exact copies. I prefer the series III ones. I'd be interested to know what else you did to your brothers maloo and what it was like to drive.

Thanks, yeah only seen two others while I've had mine. People see mine around enough, done just under 80,000 klms in 4 years.
That's one nice SS you've got . You don't see many of them around either. I looked at getting one in 2011 but didn't find one I liked ended up with a vs spack v8 5sp it got written off in 2012. Having said not many around where I was working at that timetwo guys had ones. One a nice blue one, not his everyday car, well looked after. The other a black later series one with the roller engine he drove it hard don't think he looked after it every well. But he sore a vs maloo for auction when I needed the next vehicle, didn't get that one, it was a big rough. This one came on the market just as the other ones auction finished.
I'm only about half way through reading your build, noted that you put au thermo fans on. Did you cut the fan blades down to get them to fit and modify the au fan housing.
Also got HDT headlight covers after I saw them on yours, don't know how they'll look on mine but find out eventually, although probably won't fit until I fix and get bumper repainted. They look better than the holden ones, just whether they'll suite. Don't know why I don't already have headlight covers, had them on the other utes

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea mate au thermos are a great mod, can do away with the clutch fan that way. They pretty much bolt straight on, get some from a wrecker or ebay for 100 bucks or so. Have to cut a little bit of the housing so your inlet and outlet hoses on rad fit. I just used the angle grinder then a belt sander to make holes neat, its bolted at top of rad and then zip ties at bottom of rad. Had that mod for 6 years maybe.
Then just need a thermo switch like davis craig make etc. They pull a **** load of air, if you stand beside my car it pumps hot air out the fans are pulling that much air through. Never over heats etc.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
3.7 gears
transgo shiftkit from Craigs Automatics + towpack transcooler
pacemakers,twin vn-s cats,twin 2.5" to 3" single over diff
added cold-air tube from bar to airbox with hsv otr
vdo speedo convertor
Had auto shifts corrected in 185i memcal & fan turn on.
Pedders lowered bumpstops(car was uncontrollable on shift change lol)

Fuel economy actually improved Campbelltown-Botany trips to work.

Was about 2-3k in parts almost all free labour...brother was/is major tightarse.Was a weapon of a daily for the mods/budget,nice neat almost subtle green vr maloo that felt lot quicker than what it was also sounded nice when up it.

Hilarous into 2nd or kickdown it would step out nicely then slide back into line...on standard bumpstops with lowered springs it was dangerous haha.
Brother was shite steerer & overconfident so had to fix it make it easy to control.Fun in dry,wild in wet haha

2800 stally,single thermo & greenfoam tune were final mods I wanted to do but brother offloaded the car for something new.
It was getting old..bit too nice a daily & he wouldnt pay for parts even if I got them cheap & did labour.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Lol should see my one into 2nd and on kick down. The harrop diff locks up hard and that little bit of extra power i have makes it a little skatey to say the least haha

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I loved the way it stepped out 2-3mtrs to left then give it smallest required amount of opposite lock to keep it there as it smoothly come back just one hand on wheel.

My brother just never got the feel or intuition for it he made it look messy as hell & unco.He never listened....put it under a truck trailer showing off haha

Was pointless trying to teach him you could drift it smooth & easily down straight damp road without thrashing it or losing control.

Must say engine had over 260-280 thou before he drysumped it,lost oil pressure drove/dumped it at my house to fix. & it lived again.

Th700 had nearly 300thou never rebuilt just shiftkit yet was still good.

Last edited: