Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grennan's G8 SSV Sportswagon!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Did they tune the auto?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
By the feel of it, yes. It behaves very differently in sport mode, holds the revs, when braking/slowing down it blips on the downshift and didnt do that originally (but did in manual shift). I didnt actually ask the question, I honestly totally forgotten to (still kinda used to have a manual).

In regular shift, it feels kinda the same, maybe a little firmer on the shifts but nothing too noticeable so it looks like they have two profiles, one for sports and normal.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Just a side note RE:AFM. More so directed at Pirate who has been a staunch AFM defender.

Before the tune, with AFM enabled. I would sit on anywhere between 6.5l - 9L / 100km, depending on the road. Eastlink for example which is fairly straight and flat was generally 7-8L / 100km.

Just did a longish drive last night on the freeway and it was staying fairly steady around 7.5 - 8.5L / 100km. With a few dips sub 7L.

Ill have to do a little more testing when Im at the missus' place next week and take eastlink everyday but on initial looks, the removal of AFM has had very little overall effect on fuel consumption for me. It stayed a lot more consistent, with AFM it would change quite a lot, would jump all over the place within that range whereas this stays steady.

Obviously street driving has suffered a little, but with my experiences with AFM, its on off so much in general street driving it was quite hard to accurately test.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Punch it, Chewie!

Wow, 250rwkW + sweet sound no drone + 8ish on the freeway = great tune by all accounts. Apart from suggesting 3.27 gears which are meant for our car in the first place (solve problems of touchy AFM trigger and usable window), the only thing I would point out is that 6.5-8.5l/100k on a 6.0l V8 is actually quite lean, technically close to zero load (no power) in terms of grams/cyl, excellent for economy but perhaps too lean / costly in the long run. Same fuel rate is OK on a 3.0l four cylinder (AFM) as load g/cyl is higher.
What about decelerating, does it fart and spit or l/100 zero out?
How's power delivery seem when transitioning between (closed loop) lean cruise and WOT power enrichment as in highway kick down when you punch it on your private test track, Chewie?
2731.gif

What about burbling around the 'burbs, or above highway speed (on appropriately legal track) - still getting single digits? That's the main thing with AFM, relying on a robot to do your bidding as the seventh son of seventh son of a stingy Scots bastard, without showing obvious signs of OCD behaviour with your right foot:

[video=youtube_share;CRssVliuWlc]http://youtu.be/CRssVliuWlc[/video]

Anyways main thing I wanted to point out is that AFM is not the devil, but it looks like at 250rwkW your tune is guided by Our Blessed Lady of Acceleration. More power ups the BSFC ofc, that's where active fuel management comes into play.

Last edited:

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
What about decelerating, does it fart and spit or l/100 zero out?

What about burbling around the 'burbs, or above highway speed (on appropriately legal track) - still getting single digits? That's the main thing with AFM, relying on a robot to do your bidding as the seventh son of seventh son of a stingy Scots bastard, without showing obvious signs of OCD behaviour with your right foot:.

On decel it does tend to do that burble and crackle but not too much. Its nowhere near as violent as my LS1, but I suggest that it was running rich.

Around town, ill be fair, I haven't been driving it economically. But I never got single digits around town to begin with. Everytime AFM kicked in id stop and start again anyway :p

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
So I went wheel shopping today. Still havent made up my mind.

20140809_131917_zps150a5afe.jpg

20140809_131925_zps5a2e1250.jpg

10 Inch Rear, these were 38 offset. I think they said they only had 8.5" for the front.

I SHOULD be able to fit 10 inch front, but i think you need to stretch the tyre to fit.

Other than that, I like them. Buutt, they seem a bit bland.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I reckon they'd look sweet, nice and simple.