Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GTS paddle shift wheel on SSV V1? whats needed to work?

jonb

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV V1 Redline
Hi guys, I've tried the search option but I'm not getting definitive answers.

My SSV v1 is a 2014 car so obviously the shifter was never an option. I understand the GTS wheel will bolt straight on but what's actually needed for the paddle shifters to work? and where can I find it?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
You need a wire added in the steering loom when the wheel is off to the bcm. You also need the bcm programmed which is not the same as the dealer programming. And annoyingly the transmission OS needs a patch too with hptuners or the like.
got mine done by lsxtreme. Highly recommend. Posted bcm, and the same day he received it, it was back in the post express.
This is only for 2014 models. It's my understanding the rest are a lot easier - just need the wheel and the dealer tool programming.

Edit for clarification: He supplied the wire, diagram and steering wheel with paddles for me as well as the HPtuners calibration. I physically removed my BCM and posted it to him and he sent it back next day with everything packaged together.

Last edited:

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Dassaur is on the money for MY14 models. For whatever reason, Holden launched the paddles with the Chevy SS, then didn't add them to VF until MY15.

I believe the MY14 models are missing a purple wire in the wheel loom that connects the paddles (I can't remember where, but I have seen some other threads where the commentary is around the lack of a purple wire). LSXtreme can bypass this and make it work but you'll need to send the BCM away.

@dassaur does LSxtreme's work around make it work like factory? As in one doesn't need an additional box added like the JLed system. Just connecting the wire to the BCM then flashing it, and patching the Transmission OS?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Is there a reason for the GTS wheel?

On the used-wheel market (or new I guess) I'd have thought a 2015 SS-V Redline wheel would cost less?
And whether the 2016-2017 wheels can be used too (I'd have thought with the same amount of effort)?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
@dassaur does LSxtreme's work around make it work like factory? As in one doesn't need an additional box added like the JLed system. Just connecting the wire to the BCM then flashing it, and patching the Transmission OS?
Yes that's correct. There are no modules etc and it is also fully customisable in HPTuners under 'tap up/tap down' that a factory one has.
For example, I changed the max RPM that the paddleshift will allow from 7000 to my WOT shift RPM of 6400 because there's no point going higher so it will upshift if I get to 6400RPM
That being said, the cars have a fuel cut off at a lower point than 7000 so it will never get that high, but even at the max RPM it wont upshift automatically in tap up tap down mode unless it's changed.

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Dassaur is on the money for MY14 models. For whatever reason, Holden launched the paddles with the Chevy SS, then didn't add them to VF until MY15.

I believe the MY14 models are missing a purple wire in the wheel loom that connects the paddles (I can't remember where, but I have seen some other threads where the commentary is around the lack of a purple wire). LSXtreme can bypass this and make it work but you'll need to send the BCM away.

You are correct, the purple wire is found under the top steering column shroud and is easily seen once that piece of plastic is removed.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
This is only for 2014 models. It's my understanding the rest are a lot easier - just need the wheel and the dealer tool programming.
Only if it was an option on your variant. If it wasn't, it's a BCM mod. Dealer tool won't be able to do it as it won't be an option to select.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Only if it was an option on your variant. If it wasn't, it's a BCM mod. Dealer tool won't be able to do it as it won't be an option to select.
Thanks for clarifying that, forgot!

jonb

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV V1 Redline
Hi guys.

Thanks very much for the info. Only issue is that I’m in the UK and I don’t know who I could find here to do the BCM work?

I’m assuming there’s no aftermarket variant and if so it would be the same scenario?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi guys.

Thanks very much for the info. Only issue is that I’m in the UK and I don’t know who I could find here to do the BCM work?

I’m assuming there’s no aftermarket variant and if so it would be the same scenario?
Do a search for Automotive Lighting Customs here in Victoria.
They did a paddle shift kit for VE2's and E3 HSV's. Contact them, they're pretty helpful and may give you some ideas.