Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer replacement cost?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
OK, I didn't realise it was a small three jaw. I was banking on mine fitting when it comes to the time I need to replace a balancer, once I finally get my SSV ute I want. I had stacks of room on the Buick but I'd say a V8 I will have no hope as mine is fairly large.
Ve is a piece of piss to remove radiator if you ever had to, I removed mine in a bout 10 mins when the top hose spigot broke off which they all seem to do in time

P

Pauldw500

Car chucked air con belt when this thread started, March I believe. It was put back on straight away by air con guy and said it was mechanical, go see your mechanic. I drove since then with a wabbly balancer and the belt wasn't chucked once again.

Replaced balancer and belts and now within 1 week I just drove 50ks with Windows down as air con went warm. Belt wasn't on.... :rolleyes:

That's some kinda law, sods maybe but REALLY???

Will have it back on tomorrow in minutes, but I need to have a good look around tomorrow as there's been a knocking or dunno what kinda noise that is only really present when I start up and the choke is on and it idles at 1000rpm (which I've always thought too high). Once it drops to the normal 500rpm you don't hear it hardly. I always thought it was the balancer causing it but since finally swapping it out it has got worse, maybe whatever was causing it has give way, wouldn't be surprised...

Anyway, will investigate tomorrow...

Sure you can't wait... :D

Reactions: Lex

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Car chucked air con belt when this thread started, March I believe. It was put back on straight away by air con guy and said it was mechanical, go see your mechanic. I drove since then with a wabbly balancer and the belt wasn't chucked once again.

Replaced balancer and belts and now within 1 week I just drove 50ks with Windows down as air con went warm. Belt wasn't on.... :rolleyes:

That's some kinda law, sods maybe but REALLY???

Will have it back on tomorrow in minutes, but I need to have a good look around tomorrow as there's been a knocking or dunno what kinda noise that is only really present when I start up and the choke is on and it idles at 1000rpm (which I've always thought too high). Once it drops to the normal 500rpm you don't hear it hardly. I always thought it was the balancer causing it but since finally swapping it out it has got worse, maybe whatever was causing it has give way, wouldn't be surprised...

Anyway, will investigate tomorrow...

Sure you can't wait... :D
U might need to get the updated ac idler bracket that has 2 idler pulleys instead of 1

P

Pauldw500

U might need to get the updated ac idler bracket that has 2 idler pulleys instead of 1
Any pointers anyone? Not having much. luck, but then I've just put the air con belt back on and now got all this... o_O

Screenshot_20210830-114815_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210830-114751_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210830-114658_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210830-114633_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210830-114511_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210830-114426_Gallery.jpg

Car wouldn't start and even after leaving for a few mins. Gonna give another 5 or 10 and if the same disconnect the battery for 5.

WTF has happened...lol

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Unless you are really unlucky and you have a real and coincidental component failure, I’d look at engine bay wiring looms, connectors, etc if these issues popped up at after or soon after throwing the ac belt.

Throwing a belt could whack parts of a loom and over stretch some wiring within the loom or pull or partly pull pins from connectors, either of which can cause issues… Some analysis of the wiring layout for the O2, MAF and throttle cabling may give a hint if they are routed in some location where they can be sacked by a thrown belt. Finding over stretched wires is difficult but there may be tell tale signs of being whacked. Finding pins pulled from connectors should be relatively easy by removing connector and examining pins.

Failing that, you’d need to start a full on diagnostics process by checking voltages, components, etc. The PDF of the VF workshop manual should help :p

In any case Sod’s law is apt classification of such issues occuring :oops:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
WTF has happened...lol
its sucking air vac leak probably a hose off. fix all vac leaks before replacing anything else. Is it an early ve that didn't get the aircon upgrade bracket to stop it throwing the belt when you thrash it.

P

Pauldw500

its sucking air vac leak probably a hose off. fix all vac leaks before replacing anything else. Is it an early ve that didn't get the aircon upgrade bracket to stop it throwing the belt when you thrash it.
That makes sense. Once I got the belt on I quickly turned it over to check it was sitting good, and this was with the airbox off. Once it looked good I switched off the engine and put the airbox back on. I guess it kept the record of when the airbox was off as that lil plug to the right of the inlet was disconnected too.

Once all put together and cleared the codes they've not returned...

There's mention on another thread about the aircon belt getting chucked and someone said about a diff belt as a fix but tbh I can just carry a small 7mm and medium 15mm ratchets and takes less than 5 mins to get it back on I reckon... :D