Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have the cake but can't eat it?

ratsmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro
But how does it make you feel, isn't that the most important trait in choosing a V8.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Ha..Ha..Guess all you guys are law abiding citizens who customise the exhaust system, using paddle shifts and lower gears to enjoyed the V8s on public roads..:p. I did enjoy the V8 power when taking 500 kg of off cuts plaster boards to the rubbish tip today. Went on the weight bridge at 2.4 tonnes on the way in and came out at 1.9 tonnes on the way out. :D

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Guess all you guys are law abiding citizens

I don't think anyone said that.

They just mentioned how to enjoy the sound without exceeding the speed limit.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you want a vehicle that you can wring its neck and drive absolutely flat everywhere, I can recommend an old 4wd Suzuki 3cyl 2stroke (if they still exist), buckets of audible high revs, lots of gear changing, all in slow motion, with an eventual top speed of 80kmh. Don't worry about the B'double overtaking you when you are 10 tens.

Take a few long trips in a V8, makes you happy you have one.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I think the answer is using the big donk's operational flexibility, meaning when is tuned well you can get your kicks 1500-3500 anywhere anytime, which in second gear means you own 10kph through 100 kph no effort, no problem.
Also I find with trans tuned as well it's not so much about revving the tits off it, more like cool take off in second, dig deep into 6.x litre cylinder fill to 50, roar comes on through to 100 but still under 3500 RPM.
Of course we know things can go ballistic from there but you'd be surprised how same gear low rpm rolling accel to at least 100 is still low 5s - but sorta freaks most new stylee hybrid minivan engined car drivers at lights - one gear to hwy speed and about to come on-cam.
Third gear accel to 100 from 20 kph low 5s:
The in-gear acceleration under load opens throttle gates to big 6.x induction roar:eek: One gear just getting into stride at hwy speed has a lasting psych impact vs revving out like a ricer with high ratio diff.
Basically roll start in second gear, open the gate and no need to pull a face or make the car scream and wail, just enjoy building huge roaring torque no fuss - you own this beast that will eat 95% cars on road. Same with overtake, using all those NA cubes you don't have to kickdown and snick through gears the ricer way. Use the torque multiplier (convertor).
Play it cool, cards close, enjoy the cake :cool:

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
How about making all highways in Australia "No speed limit", similar to those in Germany? Or Northern Territory until they changed it again.

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
Sounds like someone need to pull the Bimodal relay. My only choice is whether you want music with that or NOT.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I think the answer is using the big donk's operational flexibility, meaning when is tuned well you can get your kicks 1500-3500 anywhere anytime, which in second gear means you own 10kph through 100 kph no effort, no problem.
Also I find with trans tuned as well it's not so much about revving the tits off it, more like cool take off in second, dig deep into 6.x litre cylinder fill to 50, roar comes on through to 100 but still under 3500 RPM.
Of course we know things can go ballistic from there but you'd be surprised how same gear low rpm rolling accel to at least 100 is still low 5s - but sorta freaks most new stylee hybrid minivan engined car drivers at lights - one gear to hwy speed and about to come on-cam.
Third gear accel to 100 from 20 kph low 5s:
The in-gear acceleration under load opens throttle gates to big 6.x induction roar:eek: One gear just getting into stride at hwy speed has a lasting psych impact vs revving out like a ricer with high ratio diff.
Basically roll start in second gear, open the gate and no need to pull a face or make the car scream and wail, just enjoy building huge roaring torque no fuss - you own this beast that will eat 95% cars on road. Same with overtake, using all those NA cubes you don't have to kickdown and snick through gears the ricer way. Use the torque multiplier (convertor).
Play it cool, cards close, enjoy the cake :cool:

I've noticed this in my modified MSE. I don't have to put the foot to the floor in 2nd or 3rd it only takes half pedal and 3500-4500 rpm takes me to serious speeding ticket territory.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
IMG_2204.PNG
If you drive a highway every day, you learn were the "braking points are".

Take advantage of the ramps, some go for more than a 1/4 mile.

Waze is your best friend