Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Unit - Known issue?

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
Gday all

Ive been having issues with my head unit for a while with the following

1. Cameras still randomly active on the head unit even when driving
2. Intermittent bluetooth dropping out, & reconnection
3. Head unit randomly turning off & restarting
4. USB in glovebox not reading music from thumbdrive/phone/ipod - charges fine though. If it does read the ipod, it lasts for about 20-30 minutes then stops, then starts from the same song again - Slim Dusty - A good days fishing.

I booked in for a it to be looked at, with a couple of other issues, & I was told, "No software available for audio, Holden are aware of audio going blank, looking for a remedy and currently no rectification is available from Holden"

Is this really a known issue? Ive escalated to Holden Care

Theyre probably right re software, but I want a hardware fix.

2019 (Produced May 2018) Calais V Tourer

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
most of the usb issues relate to the cable being used.
a short 15/20cm cable works best.

i would have them check the silverbox and make sure all the plugs are properly inserted.
its up under the drivers side dash just below/next to the headlight switches.

with the headunit crashing like that and the camera popping on while driving etc if it is not the plugs then the silverbox might need to be replaced.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Have you performed a factory reset? It works well in the VF.

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
Have you performed a factory reset? It works well in the VF.
Sure did. Nothing. Bought new Thumbdrives, nothing. Tried thumbdrives in wifes car, work perfectly.

Holden care have referred me back to the dealer to request a TAC case be raised.
Why it wouldnt be done in the first place amazes me.
Im now a ping pong ball in the Holden bureacracy

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
Update

The local dealership have found a bulletin on the issue & will be replacing the USB cable. They have to order the part in. Ill report back once the jobs done.

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
No joy yesterday. The local dealer replaced the USB cable & the only thing to change is Ive gone from having two USB ports in the centre console to one - so Im worse off than before the "fix". I know theres two USB ports on the back of the centre console for passengers. are there any others? Ive got the AA Wireless plugged into the centre console, so will need another option for charging my phone. The phone, in its cover, is too big for the wireless charger.

Ill be back to the local dealer this morning after the morning rush & not expecting anything.

I was thinking of this like a computer issue. The first thing Id do is swap out the USB cable & try a different USB port to see if that was the issue.
Whats next? Power source?

Id have in the back of my mind that its "hardware". Stooge suggested the silver box, so Ill make that suggestion to the local dealer.

One other thing Im wondering. When You plug your phone into the USB for music does the head unit access the phone via USB or Bluetooth? Mine is only Bluetooth. If I turn off Bluetooth its as if the phone isnt there - it still charges though.

Cheers

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
No joy yesterday. The local dealer replaced the USB cable & the only thing to change is Ive gone from having two USB ports in the centre console to one - so Im worse off than before the "fix". I know theres two USB ports on the back of the centre console for passengers. are there any others? Ive got the AA Wireless plugged into the centre console, so will need another option for charging my phone. The phone, in its cover, is too big for the wireless charger.

Ill be back to the local dealer this morning after the morning rush & not expecting anything.

I was thinking of this like a computer issue. The first thing Id do is swap out the USB cable & try a different USB port to see if that was the issue.
Whats next? Power source?

Id have in the back of my mind that its "hardware". Stooge suggested the silver box, so Ill make that suggestion to the local dealer.

One other thing Im wondering. When You plug your phone into the USB for music does the head unit access the phone via USB or Bluetooth? Mine is only Bluetooth. If I turn off Bluetooth its as if the phone isnt there - it still charges though.

Cheers

replacing the usb cable would only address the issue with it not reading music or dropping out reading from a usb device.
it would not be the solution to all of the other problems you are having like the rear camera activating randomly and the unit crashing.

those other problems point to it being a faulty base unit so i would be focusing on that part of the issue while talking to them and not the usb playback part.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
They have no idea what they are doing expect bleeding you dry . Mabe its just me but when turn out says well try this and if its not that we'll replace this then if that doesn't fix it we'll replace this. They have no idea what the **** they are doing you'll end up replacing half the car.
Save you sanity and burn it too the ground now.

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
I think Ive found another symptom.

Im missing options in settings. For sure Im missing

1. Tilt mirrors when reversing
2. USB Auto Launch.

I havent gone through all the settings, just discovering them as I go looking.

Theres radio silence from my local service centre. Ill give them until the end of the week & ring the Service Manager.