Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head unit + steering wheel

slothysid

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Manual VY S
it's been on my mind since i got my car and every newer model commodore owner i've spoken to personally has it on their mind too but i haven't seen a thread about it here.
if anyone has changed the head unit in their car to a dvd screen or anything that will fill the mass hole left by the blaupunkt piece os s*** what did you do with your buttons on your wheel??! is there a way to hook them up to the head unit or do they become ornaments for your wheel or did you rice it out and bolt a momo on to the end of your steering column...

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Personally I haven't done it but I know that you can fit a DVD screen into the gap to replace the stock unit. If it doesn't fit straight off, you can get surrounds to give it the factory appearance.

As for the wheel controls, you can get a device called a CAT-10. This lets you continue using the buttons.

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

VYCamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series II
Yeh the CAT 10 interfaces work well, i have just installed my second Sony XAV-W1 DVD Head Unit (1st one was stolen) and the interface plugs directly into the head unit, and hooks up to the controls, i know you can get cheaper units that are just and IR (infra-red) repeater, that sort of replicate the normal IR remote that comes with the head units, but sounded a bit dodge to me. And for the record, not even the Sony DVD unit fills that f##king huge hole that once housed a stock deck lol, all aftermarkets need the fascia kits.

remember_me

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sedan
i thought it was a CAT 9 might be mistaken tho, for the price of them i wouldnt bother getting them ive been quote 300 for the unit