Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlining material fallen down

VeNuS~6lt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6lt Ute
Not a lot of info online still sadly.

My headlining started to fall at my visors a couple of weeks ago. Well hot damn it deteriorates fast.
I got some good quality headlining from NOLANS which has the 3mm padded backing.
Some permatex heat resistant glue
Plenty of spare clips
A sponge to wipe down all that old dusty padding.
It was suggested I use gloves to prevent dirt and natural skin oil transfer.
And not to use any sharp edges when pressing. Rather use a flat wide surface.

My only question has been, any tips on taking down the light/sunglasses, I was told it was a pain in the hiney...

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I just called in Repair Bull to do the VE here.
Was all done at home in no time for not much money.
Personally I would not bother messing about doing it myself.

If you wish to use the material you have got the installer to use that.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I redid ours in faux suede. New insulation in the roof too. There is a Shinto load of un-insulated room in there.

I needed to tape the roof handle spacers to the headlining panel. Also needed longer screws for the handles.

The visor screws and mounts also challenged me (ours have wiring in them) and the clips that connect the visor in the middle were really flippin hard to reinstall.

The panel is fragile. Ours has been miss handled many times prior to me doing the roof and it was damaged but we made do.

If you are going for a standard lining replacement in a VE, pay the money and get someone experienced to do it.

My neighbour paid an experienced trimmer $300 for the same job in standard trim. Some dodgy people doing it locally for $150 but some asking around the trades changed his mind.

I’ve done 4 or 5 cars before and the VE was the hardest.

There’s a video:

It wasn’t this easy for me and I removed the lining and replaced it with no dash in the car, so extra room.

Looks flipping amazing though.
Material sourced from Warwick fabrics, had to get a trimmer with an account to get it from them after I picked it.

Did all other trim panels too.

Last edited:

Lou13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
Hi guys. 2009 VE SSV ute. The material has separated from the headlining and is sagging from the rear window. I was thinking upholstery aerosol glue/spray but the material appears thin, mesh like and I'm worried the glue/spray will seep or be visible? Is this a normal issue and what's the thoughts on rectification? Cheers.
I went to an auto upholsterer and he replaced the lining for $90 (ute). He said if he was to glue the old lining back up, it wouldn't hold as the foam backing on the liner was disintegrating

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
He said if he was to glue the old lining back up, it wouldn't hold as the foam backing on the liner was disintegrating

That is the problem that most people do not realise.
Just the front edges of my Crewman started to separate, so it was time. The mess left behind by the foam backing while getting the roof plug out took me longer to clean up than it took the trimmer to replace the lining.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Having done a roof lining myself in my old VS, I would just pay the pros to do it as soon as it starts deteriorating.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Can anyone recommend a good auto trimmer in Sydney to replace my headliner.

I prefer going off first hand recommendations compared to just a google search.