Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heat issue

Randy18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Hi everyone,

Whenever I've been driving for a while the spot where my left knee rests against becomes quite warm. It is just behind where the fan swicthes are, where your leg rests on the plastic.

Anyone have any idea what this could be related to? It has been doing it a while but i think its getting worse and can be quite uncomfortable on long trips.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The only thing I can suggest is that it is from the heater, if you have it set on floor mode.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Perfectly normal, you also have to remember that you have the heat of the transmission coming up through the floor too.

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Have a look behind the plastic cover that your left knee rests on. I think you'll find that the heater pipes are just beside your knee (metal pipes maybe 10mm diameter full of hot coolant from the engine used by your heater). Cover them with heat insulation tape and it helps.

PS if you turn your heater contol to cold (before the car warms up) and it still heats up down there then your heater tap may be seized open. If you dont know what i'm talking about then check this out:

HOLDEN COMMODORE HEATER TAP VN VP VQ VR VS VT VX VY V6 - eBay, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 21-Jul-08 23:37:03 AEST)

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
When it heats up down there, feel around behind the plastic... when you burn the **** out of your fingers then you've found the pipes. lol

Randy18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
lol yeah i knew there were some pipes just behind there - didn't really want to stick my hand in there.

It isn't only when i turn the heater on. I usually turn the fans to cold air and use the feet/leg setting to cool down my legs once they start heating up.

Just along as transmission or somthing isn't about to melt/ignite anything.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
turning the control knob should stop hot coolant entering the cabin (via the heater tap). you say that it does blow cool air so it suggest that the heater tap is fuctioning. just make sure the control know is to full cold and it shouldn't heat up.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I had the same question a while ago. As the guys above have said, if you turn the temperature fully cold the pipes shouldnt get hot. Chances are they will. If they do you probably need to adjust the shut-off valve switch. I have some instructions here: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/497109-post14.html

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I had the same question a while ago. As the guys above have said, if you turn the temperature fully cold the pipes shouldnt get hot. Chances are they will. If they do you probably need to adjust the shut-off valve switch. I have some instructions here: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/497109-post14.html

I should point out here too, that the above is only applicable to cars with the manual climate systems, ie the dials. In cars with the electronic climate control these pipes are always hot, regardless of what you have the temperature set to, as the climate system uses an air mixing door behind the dash to use a bit of hot air and cold air to maintain your set temperature. So even during summer if you have the climate set to 18 deg C, these pipes will still be hot, however NO air will pass through the heater core, as it is not required.