Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heat shield on aftermarket headers

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Onto the heat shield dilemma ........ why is it illegal to remove these ?....... is the car going to do a Chinese EV self-combustion impersonation ?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Onto the heat shield dilemma ........ why is it illegal to remove these ?....... is the car going to do a Chinese EV self-combustion impersonation ?
Not sure about heat shield removal being the problem, more about the headers being illegal engine mod for P plater and the op thinking by adding heat shield would hide the headers.??

Or, in the words used by police over the years,
not manufacturers specifications.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Your right about treating them with respect. Worst case, if they randomly pull over for no reason, just act like you don’t know anything about cars and that you did not know anything about the modifications “done prior to you buying the car”. Not sure if this would work. I think unless your are driving in an illegal manner and they see you, or your car looks is awfully loud or slammed, then you might be fine. Put it this way, I am not too afraid when driving my sv6 with some mild modifications on my red p plates.

If/ when you have to drive like a hoon p-plater driving a Commodore or Falcon, don’t do it in an obvious place with people nearby or cameras.

Anyway, like you see on ACA or TV, a lot of p platers who get pulled over tend to be driving erratically when pulled over, or have a slammed Mang machine (Usually VZ commodore or prior) with tire slap all over the guards.

The moment you argue, disrespect them, or give them lip is when they will go out of their way (AKA take their job to seriously) to defect your car as best as possible.

If they pull you over (randomly for not reason) remember, you don’t know anything at all about cars, and you bought the car like this. Just act dumb and not give them an attitude. I’ll say it again, “you don’t know anything about cars whatsoever” when they pull you over. “It was just a cheap car you found for sale on Facebook market place, and they guy you sold the car did not mention anything about modifications and said the car was well looked after.

As those after market headers get rusty, they may look more stock. My stock headers were quite rusty.

Hopefully this is obvious, but advice given here will not have a positive impact on insurance whatsoever as insurance companies will try their damnedest to not pay out should they worst happen. This applies to anyone driving a stock Toyota Camry or a 900hp HSV Clubsport.
yeah thats my plan but im sure they've heard "i dont know anything about cars" a million times so not sure how well that would go haha. but yeah im hoping they get rusty enough in the next few weeks so when i get on my p's itll look stock enough. but yeah not to worried about insurance, because i know ill probably get fu*ked around with them anyway

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
put headers(pacmaker) on my 08 ve v6 berlina and the stock heat shilds donr fit so i just left them off. Did over 100000k no issues at all.
yeah if your on your opens headers are legal

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
LOL not enough washer fluid.
Either they wash or they don't wash.
If your mate at work decided to dispute that he would have a good chance of winning.
Years ago I knew a copper who told me their particular station had a weekly competition where they all put in $2 and whoever wrote the silliest fine won the weekly pot.
Sounds like it might be still going.
yeah i know if they really want to find something to defect you for they will. and yeah they mustve upped the stakes lol

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
With regard to the heat shield, no point in fitting a heat shields to hide the headers bc cops will simply pull up any info from the past (headers noted) and look to see if they have been removed.
Or worse you will get the same cop who remembers you and your car.
Bingo, you cop a fine and points bc you were warned then you will hate coppers for evermore.
You need to understand cars are a milking cow for Govmint and young people who spend money on cars are a bigger milking cow.
These days we all have to use the kiss principal, keep it simple stupid.
Your call.
ohh yeah true they would aye. hopefully if they look rusty enough they wont even question it. and yeah gotta brown nose every coppa hahaha

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
nah i was seeing if putting the heat shield on could hide the aftermarket headers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
yeah i know if they really want to find something to defect you for they will. and yeah they mustve upped the stakes lol
Mr. Plod will do anything they want, and get away with it...