Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Electronic distributor wiring relay

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
You wanna talk about wasting money on old holdens be very carefull mate . Long term projects can waste lots of money especially when you do so much then decide it wont work or its not good enough or just change your mind then your into that much you can even cut your loses and sell up. How much you think this thing owes me.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1em3lQ_PIDlNtN8rpaeapVhYbZNOG6EsM

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
You still have it? how far off being finished? whats the plans with it?

Ive been there, well prob not as far as that, years back i turned my last VK car inside out nearly 2 times, 3 set of interior, 3 different engines, respray, upgraded everything, then I sold it around 10-12 years ago for peanuts $7k. would be worth 5-6 times that to the right buyer now. Eventually, this VB will be a stock rebuild, no radical upgrades, no engineers and no super hot engine. haha! who am I kiddin, give me a few years exposure on the scene and I reckon the bug will bite hard again.

Anyway, good luck with your build, I think once you have the car running and enjoying it, the cost wont seem so bad, thats what I tell myself anyway.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Good for you ole mate. Do you lose it when you get there and the parts are in the same condition as the bits you've taken off?

Why would you say that? Being in the old car scene, it comes with the territory, so it is to be expected.

And the last "new" model car I owned was a 95 model V8 Fairlane....I was 100 odd kays away from my place, with a van on a trailer and the bloody thing crapped both head gaskets....That was the end of the line, as far as newish model stuff is concerned with me..

And I am aware, older stuff can be a money pit, but so can new model stuff....To date by VC owes me about $7,000, from the time I bought minus motor and gearbox, to the current state, where I drive it most days....It was re-sprayed, VS front seats put in and a VT front brake conversion and another supra gearbox put in, because the old one locked into 3rd gear....So overall, I'm happy with where it is at and how much it owes me to this point

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Old men my arse ...young wipper snippers :)
I drove them when they were cheap, they sucked then and do now....I have nfi why the price of stuff has gone up so much, hell even VR stuff is getting pricey...I do think it might have been the mining boom CUBS..Hamsters...and a bit of GFC ...all the old farts are doing is laughing all the way to the bank....or like me kicking themselves for letting it all go in a mini skiff :D

back OT isnt there a 12v link on the carb loom for the anti dieseling solenoid? I personally dont like adding relays unless necessary

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
You still have it? how far off being finished? whats the plans with it?
I still have the ole EK my friend is going to help me finish it. the plan is to finish the mechanicals then get back to the body ect. Frank threw half my collection of efi holden stuff aside and said he's thinking about it. I've finely found the mental help I need when its on the hoist Ill take some new pictures as something happens. My mate Big Frank has been a real mechanic for 25 years were working on the boat at the moment so we'll need to test that a bit while the weather is good so I cant see much happening on it this year hopefully its on the hoist next week hes got 4 of them and only ever uses the 1 up the front.
The vc blue motor trimatic and disks all round I'd like to stay. I don't like the current hr crossmeber in it much would like to get rid of the steel bush font end, the original steering box wont work with those wheels the column needs to be collapsible, 2 speed wipers . demister seat belts , pass a brake test and the engineer might pass it if we ever get that far.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I drove them when they were cheap, they sucked then and do now....I have nfi why the price of stuff has gone up so much, hell even VR stuff is getting pricey...I do think it might have been the mining boom CUBS..Hamsters...and a bit of GFC ...all the old farts are doing is laughing all the way to the bank....or like me kicking themselves for letting it all go in a mini skiff :D

back OT isnt there a 12v link on the carb loom for the anti dieseling solenoid? I personally dont like adding relays unless necessary
Wozza your Probably a top bloke and gave your old parts to young blokes with dungers years ago plenty of old blokes gave us parts when i was 18 working on h series and vb vc in the driveway.
Would the solenoid circuit be good for another 10 amps ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I noticed prices started going north about 5 years ago, when scrap metal prices were up....Scrappies were taking them to be scrapped and cashing in big time....Now, parts are scarce and people like myself want older cars, for something to play with and most are paying the price for the scarcity

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Hi,

I'm upgrading my old points distributor to electronic on my VB 253, the two options are bridging the starter and ignition wire to give my coil 12V rather than the original 9V, Do I understand that correct.

I've also read a 12V power source can be run direct to the relay and the original ignition switch can be used as a switch. Relay as follow - 12v = 30 , 87 = ignition (original) , 85= coil and 86=earth (body).

Is this correct?

Is it acceptable run the 12V fromct form the battery post or on the starter or alternator wire?

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Make up your own loom from the booster (as Smitty advises) to your new electronic distributor & coil. There's plenty of suitable plugs available on eBay (I got mine from "allautorecreations1" seller, genuine GM style). Or ask a sparky to make up a loom! There is nothing special about a 1st generation Commodore loom.

VH-VK eng harness.jpg

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Ok cheers, will look into making loom, mine is a bit scrapy anyway.

Im enjoying the read, thanks