Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help identifying a spider

brockee

(HOUSE OF POWER)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 SENATOR SIG CAMMD A4
sif
trapdoor:
0_8651e5fd81a383bbfdc1358cc56a5dae.jpg

huntsman
HUNTSMAN.jpg

just look at the mandibles in danja's pic. looks nothing like a huntsman

with ari666 on that one, with the legs curled up as they are, there not long enough to be huntsman ???

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
could be a funnel web, they come in black brown , fat or thin depending on sex or location.
But does it have like prominent little prongs on its abdomen at the rear 'cerci'.
Funnel webs 'cerci' are very prominent easily seen.
I cannot see any in the pic but if you look at some funnel web pics you see the cerci. easily.

It could quite easily be aSydney funnel web as they tend to be leaner and brown in colour, a bit different from the fat shiney black ones we always see on tv.

sorry not much help, but i copied this off the Australian museum site:
might help.

Identifying Funnel-web Spiders
Shiny carapace
Deeply curved groove (fovea)
No obvious body pattern
Eyes closely grouped
Four spinnerets, largest with last segment longer than wide
Lower lip (labium) studded with short, blunt spines
Modified male second leg (usually with a mating spur or grouped spines)
An obvious, conical projection or 'spur' on the lower side of the middle segment (tibia) of the second leg (about halfway along) is characteristic of the genus Atrax, exemplified by the Sydney Funnel-web Spider, Atrax robustus. Males of all other funnel-web species (currently placed in the genus Hadronyche) either have a blunt, spine-covered tibial swelling, or a few spines only, on the second leg. Note also the mating organ on the male palp.
Suspects gallery
These spiders are funnel-webs:

These spiders are sometimes mistaken for funnel-webs:

Sydney Brown Trapdoor Spider (Misgolas rapax) male
Sydney Brown Trapdoor Spider (Misgolas rapax) female
Mouse Spider (Missulena sp) female
Bymaniella near Guyra, New South Wales
Black house spider (Badumna insignis)

Cheers

Dan

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Thanks for the feedback so far. We get plenty of huntsmans around the place, it was way too small to be one of them, and the body proportions are all wrong.

I'm not aware of ever seeing trapdoors here before, also the legs are a bit too spindly and the fangs too small to be a trapdoor I think.

attachment.php

^^ That's a drawing of a funnelweb (male) I found on the net, it looks quite similar, though it is a bit hard to tell with the legs curled up (which all spiders seem to do after a hit of Mortein :p)

I should also add that the body of the spider I found is about 1.5cm long, I know its hard to tell the scale from the photos - sorry.

Attachments

• funnelwebmaleani.gif
    funnelwebmaleani.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,870

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
A couple of better pictures, now the subject has a little less rigor and a little more mortis :p

Attachments

• IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 458

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
If you see the second leg of that spider you have in the picture (the second leg, do not count the first two feelers), it has a prominent spur on it.

Your spider already has the 4 spinnerettes, as seen in the pic you got of the upside down spider.
Get a magnifying glass and see if it has a spur on its second leg, If so,,it is a Sydney funnel web.

In saying that I cannot see any spurs on the second leg of your spider, but it could still be a male funnel web, just not a Sydney funnel web..

cheers

Dan

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's a Funnel web of some kind, jus a matter of it's it's a nasty one or not :), there's heaps of species of them

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
If you see the second leg of that spider you have in the picture (the second leg, do not count the first two feelers), it has a prominent spur on it.

Your spider already has the 4 spinnerettes, as seen in the pic you got of the upside down spider.
Get a magnifying glass and see if it has a spur on its second leg, If so,,it is a Sydney funnel web.

In saying that I cannot see any spurs on the second leg of your spider, but it could still be a male funnel web, just not a Sydney funnel web..

cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

I read about that spur and did have a look for it, it doesn't appear to have it, though all the other features match up so I think Foamy might be right that it's a funnel web, but probably not the "Sydney" funnel web.

We had a monsoon-like downpour here overnight, and I've heard the water can flush them out - it's also funnel web season right now, so it all adds up.

Think I'll do a little clearing of debris around the house, and lay a bit of surface spray down for the ones who don't get the message.

Thanks everyone.

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
you know I think vr94ss has a good pic there and it is identical to your spider.
I am saying "Sydney trapdoor, commonly confused with a funnel web", but I beleive they can still give a good bite. Not the sort of thing you want in your bedroom.

Cheers

Dan