Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help me! i know very little about car audio but really want to learn :)

sam.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
hey guys and girls, i am kitting out my VY S II with new sound :D i have just installed JL front splits and JL rear 2 ways all powered off a JL 5ch amp. the speakers run great but this is where my knowledge ends :(
i have the 5th ch on my amp still to play with. its a sub output (mono) and can produce 200Watts RMS at 4 ohms, or 400Watts RMS at 2 ohms.

what would be the perfect sub (spec wise, RMS, Dual 2 ohm, Dual 4 ohm, etc) to run off this 5th ch on my amp?
any help would be great, i really want to learn about this stuff :)
thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Something with about 400wrms with either Single 2-ohm, or dual 1 or 4 ohm (this allows you to wire it in series or parallel to achieve 2-ohm).

Depending on what sort of music you like it can be 8", 10", 12", or 15". The smaller subs are better with faster beats, while the bigger subs are better at low rolling bass, though a decent 12" is considered a good all-rounder.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
As above a dual 4 is often the cheapest. Go for a 10 or a 12 IMO. A 8 is quite small and doesn't sound like a "sub" unless it's in a big ported box generally. A 15 takes up way too much space for no real gain.

One rated to 250rms will be fine. Having more power than you need is called headroom and helps prevent the amp from clipping and damaging the speaker.

Have you got any subs in mind?

Are you going to build or buy your box?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
150wrms out of 400wrms is a lot of headroom and in my opinion a waste of good power. JL products are decent so I doubt it will clip or overheat easily.

50wrms would be a better amount of headroom.

sam.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
thanks for all the help guys. do you recomend going for the single input subs (single 4 ohm/2 ohm) or the dual input subs (dual 4 ohm in my case so i can achieve 400rms @ 2ohm) i would like to make the most out of the amp becasue i did spend a fair bit. im not sure about what sub i actualy want. i have heard good things about JL, Kicker, Polk, Alpine. if i could get some exact specs for subs from you guys that would help heaps so i can start shopping around. if you had 200rms @ 4omh/400rms @ 2ohm what would the sub specs be that you would be looking for??

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
To run at 2ohm 400wrms:

If you go with one sub your options are:
- single 2ohm voice coil, 250-400wrms rating
- dual 4 ohm voice coil. 250-400wrms
- dual 1 ohm voice coil 250-400wrms

If you go with 2 subs
- single 4 rated 150-250wrms
- dual 2ohm rated 150-250wrms

(I've probably forgotten some combinations you can run. Don't take my recommended ratings as gospel they're pretty flexible)

Just remember two things when you setup your system. Do not use 'bass boost' or 'loud' features and you'll be sweet.

These are two subs I personally know:
-Friend of mine runs a type r 12 off 400wrms and it sounds good.
-I run an id12 (250wrms) off an alpine mono at 600wrms all day everyday, great sub nice and loud

sam.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
thanks for that. i think im getting the hang of this dual and single ohm stuff. i had a look on this website where i bought all my speakers and amp from, here are a few links to subs that i think fit well with my amp. let me know what you think of these subs, brands, quality, etc.. and if you have any other recomendations.
these are just the subs themselves, i will be getting a custom box made and tuned for me. thanks

Sound Master Car Audio - ($239) Boston G212-4 12inch Subwoofer G2124

Sound Master Car Audio - ($224) Kicker CVR124 CompVR Series 12inch Subwoofer CVR124

Sound Master Car Audio - ($210) JL Audio 12W0V24 Subwoofer 12W0V24

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The kicker is suited to the amp. The others not so. If your prepared to pay extra I'd go for a jl sub that's dual 4

What about this from the same place?
http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Soundstream-Picasso12inch-300rms-Sub--PCW12-SVC/PCW12DVC.asp
Quite well suited to your amp and not very expensive either

I believe Boston often do a single 2ohm sub. That would be good for your setup.

By the way I'm very happy to hear you talking in terms of rms :)

Last edited:

sam.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
yeah i saw that one but because it is a D4 sub wouldnt that mean i would be over powering it but 100 rms @ 2 ohm? and yeah, its all about rms, not this stupid peak power bs haha. which jl sub are you talking about, this one? Sound Master Car Audio - ($787) JL Audio 12W6V2 12inch Subwoofer 12W6V2
becuase thats ALOT of money haha. i found that on on this website. have you heard anything about this site (i have filtered the search for JL 12" subs: Component Subwoofers at Crutchfield.com[rank9]12"
whats your pick from this site??