Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me please I'm a girl and I'm unsure

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Ease up turbo, your gonna scare the poor girl out of cars completely! I have 93 vq statesman and ive run that low on fuel plenty of times. The difference between 98 octane and PULP (91 or lower) is so insignificant to a daily driven road car its silly. In the united states they often run 80-87 octane and theyre cars have no hassles running on it. In fact i have seen huge horsepower cars run on it. A decent fuel additive for cleaning purposes run through your tank once a month will have rectified fuel being grubby or dirty. Replacing a fuel filtwr and cleaning the injectors will solve a lot of that. Let thw forum know how you got on mate.

I stand by my statement, DON"T allow your tank to get low, as it WILL pick up crud and perhaps block the filter. Particularly on older vehicles.

Re. numbers on petrol you are talking, are you aware Australia and USA run different numbers for octane value? I have lived in the USA by the way.

I agree with the additive to clean things out.......Toyota make a very good one. First thing here though is to help this girl and at least get the car running, if we can.

The supercharged VY is meant to be run on premium fuel, and 95 would be fine. It will run of course on 91 as it has a knock sensor, but 95 is best for it, and 98 not needed.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Not below half tank and not getting too low are two very different things.

Going too low should definitely be avoided as you can end up overheating the fuel pump leading to its untimely death.

Not going below half tank is overkill imho.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Yes - what Gossie said.
- Your fuel pump also needs plenty of fuel for cooling and for lubrication. You don't want to run extremely low on fuel and risk have the pump running dry gasping to pick up the remaining fuel sloshing around in the bottom of the tank as you are driving up some incline.

- Had 2 of the V6 supercharged engines. Great engines for their time and you definitely should run them on 95 octane fuel.

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
I stand by my statement, DON"T allow your tank to get low, as it WILL pick up crud and perhaps block the filter. Particularly on older vehicles.

Re. numbers on petrol you are talking, are you aware Australia and USA run different numbers for octane value? I have lived in the USA by the way.

I agree with the additive to clean things out.......Toyota make a very good one. First thing here though is to help this girl and at least get the car running, if we can.

The supercharged VY is meant to be run on premium fuel, and 95 would be fine. It will run of course on 91 as it has a knock sensor, but 95 is best for it, and 98 not needed.

Ahhh i had completely forgotten the RON data details re: usa/aus! My apologies. I often let my statesman run as low as a quater tank but never less than that. Now you have me worried haha.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Ahhh i had completely forgotten the RON data details re: usa/aus! My apologies. I often let my statesman run as low as a quater tank but never less than that. Now you have me worried haha.

1/4 tank is fine by me, but if you drum 1/2 tank into people maybe, just maybe they will at least start to think about filling their tank when it gets to 1/2 way down.

We have not heard back from this girl????? Perhaps she got it going?????

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
Actually thats a smart way of thinking. My girlfriend drives a series 3 vs 5 litre ute and thats the approach i have had with her refilling fuel. I had forgotten this altogether.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Anyway, back on topic....when you turn the key to the ON position, does the red immobilisor light turn off?