Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me set a clown straight!

Which option best describes your situation?

• Option 1

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Option 2

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Option 3

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Option 4

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • Option 5

Votes: 40 24.0%

• Total voters

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Not up on the law's in SA, but can he even drive a SS on P plates? Also he's 15, by time he reaches a point that the bank will loan him that amount of money he will either not want that car or it will be alot cheaper.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I reckon a very high percentage of blokes' first cars get wrecked or otherwise irreparably damaged, more so than older people's cars.

Lets be honest most of us here had/have a bit of a go with our first cars and many of them met grief as a result.

Well your theory is full of crap as 'option 4' is the most popular so far. My opinion would be that most people will take care of their first car as it's something special to them.

I turn 30 this year and I've only ever owned two cars in my life. My first car was a 1995 VS exec. Bought it in 1998 with 161,000kms on the clock and I sold it in 2005 with 384,000kms on it. It still ran bloody fantastic, no dings and mechanically it was all original. Needed new valve stem seals and a new diff but other than that it was awesome.

My second (current) car I bought in '05 and still have it now with no intentions of selling anytime soon.

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
option 4 for me traded my little Datto for my first VP

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
Isnt the law about L and P platers driving turbos and v8 in now tho? so he wouldnt b able 2 drive it

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
Option 4 for me too... Was sad to see that vl go :-(

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
His first car should be a Mitsubishi Triton 4B, 2.5 diesel....64 KW :thumbsup:

My son has a VY V8 and just lost his license on the spot when caught going 30kms over. Best thing that could have happened to the idiot. The urge to squeeze the accelerator pedal is irresistible for the inexperienced. The car is a toy to them.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
im 24 ive had about 20 cars lol havent had any acedents or been in any only sliped a thooth on the crapy bitsamisen colt and locked the engine lol. option 4 and it was a gold vh with a 173

Sharoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
I was option 4 too. I love my first car. It started to get chain reactions of problems so I sold it. I have 2 kids so needed a more reliable, safer car. Looking back it would have been cheaper to fix my vp than pay just the insurance for the Vx a year :bang: oh well...

I wouldn't worry about him, with a loan like that he won't have any money left over to put petrol in it.
I know as I was a dumbass getting a car loan as when you sort out all the payments I didn't think about all the other things involved in getting a newer car, like the many services, the insurance, the general up keep of it.

I like my new car but I was happier with my vp.
If something happened or if It got scratched I'd be like 'oh well' but I'd have a heart attack if it was my vx.

At the end of the day its his problem not yours, theres pros and cons for both.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I turn 30 this year and I've only ever owned two cars in my life. My first car was a 1995 VS exec. Bought it in 1998 with 161,000kms on the clock and I sold it in 2005 with 384,000kms on it. It still ran bloody fantastic, no dings and mechanically it was all original. Needed new valve stem seals and a new diff but other than that it was awesome.

Not trying to have a go but, u bought a 3 year old car with 161000 kms on it? 53,000km's per year? thats 1000km's a week. thats heavy.

Look at this little fella!! >>>> :lock: <<<<

ITS PADLOCK BUTTER JELLY TIME!!

oh and i was option 4. worst decision of my life to date.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
Oh crap....Im the only one who ticked the first one...:yeah:..Little AE92 4AGE twin cam fwd corolla....engine died in quite an entertaining fashion....blew a rod out the side of the block after sustained high revs,sold it with a dead motor and quite a crumpled rear due to a coupla mcdonalds trays under the rear wheels with the handbrake up,and put that money to my first rotary on my fathers advise......"If your silly enough to blow cars up revvin the crap outta them,get something built to rev..get an old rotary or something"....at the time i thought it was strange advice from a father,but he fully expected it to be a doomed experiment,heavy to run,heavy on maintenence,but the one thing he really wanted me to learn was mechanical sympathy.Those old things could be rather fragile with silly treatment....:whistling