Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP ME!! VR overheating

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
If you have replaced the coolant it's likely an air blockage in the engine, simple as to fix and a common thing when the fluid has been changed.

I'm not sure if the VR has one but on the VS and later there is a brass bleed screw/nut on top of the thermostat housing, start it up and let it run until the thermo fan cuts in, loosen the bleeder and likely air come out at pressure before coolant does, lock it up, top up the radiator, fixed.

Of course if the bleeder is not there you have to half fill the radiator start it up and pour the rest in slowly, allowing the thermostat to open, if the water pump is not working you won't see the fluid flowing "as it should" into the radiator.

TheKMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Could be the thermo fan not kicking in, the water pump, the thermostat...
What about your radiator cap? If that's old and worn it won't keep the pressure properly. Could also be the guage?

A

al blake

i had overheating probs with my series 1 vr. finished up replacing the radiator, which cracked and lost coolant, and then a few months later replaced the water pump which was making a bearing on the way out noise and it was leaking also. did the hoses and thermostat as well. very important to go through the air bleed process with these engines, you may have to do it more than once if there is a lot of air in there. my vr now running great, all up cost under $500. good luck.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Yep I did mine not long ago when changing fluid, not bothering to remove the plastic cover i paid for it immediately with the guage at half way while cruising, cover removed enging running the air came out at high pressure for a good 5 sec before liquid coolant did, lock it up and now it never reaches the first mark on the guage as before.