Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help on upgrading alloytec cams and valve springs

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
yeah cheers bro I’m always gonna do the job the best I can, just trying to figure out the best way to do it

Cam plate and read Autodata.
I'm not being a **** but you need to learn how to read those documents.
It'll come to you.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
If you need the car don't stuff around.
I would want at least three timing chain jobs under my belt at you're level before I attempted a necessity car.
Nah it’s to super necessary, I might be able to use my dads yaris as he has two cars, and I’ve got the train anyway. I took it for a year before I had my license so not the worst if it back on it again

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Yea they need a 1/4" torque wrench. I think they're about 10nm on the cam caps. My Snap-on digital 3/8th go's to 7nm but you don't want to be at the far end of the scale.
So that's another tool that's needed.
I can actually do stuff like that by hand feel but it takes years of practice, plus I own $3000 of torque wrenches.

Que the arm chair asassins telling me I don't know anything lol.

I used to do all engine stuff by torque wrench but where I work now the other guy said just do it by feel, we don't have come backs.
Yeah I’ve got a 1/2 tourqe wrench, I could probably borrow a 1/4 one from work if need be. But yeah the people at my work who have 20 - 30 + years experience do everything by feel, but I’ll definitely be using a tourqe wrench.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Cam plate and read Autodata.
I'm not being a **** but you need to learn how to read those documents.
It'll come to you.
So is autodata a site for learning all that stuff? I’ve just never heard of it, but yeah I’ll definitely be getting the cam plates 100%

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah I’ve got a 1/2 tourqe wrench, I could probably borrow a 1/4 one from work if need be. But yeah the people at my work who have 20 - 30 + years experience do everything by feel, but I’ll definitely be using a tourqe wrench.

Just remember that feel comes from years of using torque wrenches and many cars comming back.
Once a mechanic has no come backs they're then considered a master.
Come backs are everything and sh.ity looking work.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So is autodata a site for learning all that stuff? I’ve just never heard of it, but yeah I’ll definitely be getting the cam plates 100%
Autodata is a trade info site like Boyce's. Repco on their online ordering actually have an Autodata tab if you pay like $150 a month extra I think.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Just remember that feel comes from years of using torque wrenches and many cars comming back.
Once a mechanic has no come backs they're then considered a master.
Come backs are everything and sh.ity looking work.
Yeah I think the problem for me is that we don’t tourqe anything because we’re just mainly doing drivetrain related things and front and rear ends, and you kind of get a feel for where things should roughly be, mainly just tight. I know it’s a lot more important to do it on engines though. I’m thinking all the engine work I do is gonna have to be on my own.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I must add,
Tension all the chain hardest bolts to spec also,
It all takes time,
Time is the essence of a good job,
As I said before,
You won’t want to do it twice.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Autodata is a trade info site like Boyce's. Repco on their online ordering actually have an Autodata tab if you pay like $150 a month extra I think.
Oh yeah true, we’ve got a site for my apprenticeship but most of it is just useless crap, I’ll have a look at it 100%. I’m trying to learn as much as I can about engines

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
I must add,
Tension all the chain hardest bolts to spec also,
It all takes time,
Time is the essence of a good job,
As I said before,
You won’t want to do it twice.
Yeah when I’m doing engine work I’ll be tourqing every bolt lol, cause yeah like you said don’t want to do it twice. I think I’ve got a problem when I do every bolt a lot tighter then it should be.