Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help on upgrading alloytec cams and valve springs

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah I think the problem for me is that we don’t tourqe anything because we’re just mainly doing drivetrain related things and front and rear ends, and you kind of get a feel for where things should roughly be, mainly just tight. I know it’s a lot more important to do it on engines though. I’m thinking all the engine work I do is gonna have to be on my own.

I used to work in suspension, that is done in ugga duggas, doing diesel injector clamps on a 2lt is a little different when the spec is 2nm plus 180°

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah when I’m doing engine work I’ll be tourqing every bolt lol, cause yeah like you said don’t want to do it twice. I think I’ve got a problem when I do every bolt a lot tighter then it should be.

The torque wrench is how you learn what is overnight.
It's never too loose it's always overtight, well until you get into torque to yield but I'll save you the overdrive tonight.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
I used to work in suspension, that is done in ugga duggas, doing diesel injector clamps on a 2lt is a little different when the spec is 2nm plus 180°
yeah that’s how it works with us haha just rattle gun and I use the breaker bar to double check it still cause I’m learning

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
The torque wrench is how you learn what is overnight.
It's never too loose it's always overtight, well until you get into torque to yield but I'll save you the overdrive tonight.
Yeah we only really use it to tourqe wheels and pinion nuts on solid spacers and that’s about it, and yeah I’ve heard about tourqe to yield on YouTube videos, pretty sure there used on ls head bolts and you can only use them once

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Anyway mate, you'll need to save a bit more cash, also send the cams to a cam grinder to have them put on the cam reader, then they can advise on spring choice.

Don't expect to just throw some cheap cams in and wonders will happen.

The rope trick is easy as just takes time.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Infact to do it right get the heads to Higgins heads and the cam guys will tell him the spec and he can do a proper bowl job you'll make way more power that way.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Infact to do it right get the heads to Higgins heads and the cam guys will tell him the spec and he can do a proper bowl job you'll make way more power that way.
Nah don’t want to go that far with it, I’ll see what power I make with it and how it feels

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Anyway mate, you'll need to save a bit more cash, also send the cams to a cam grinder to have them put on the cam reader, then they can advise on spring choice.

Don't expect to just throw some cheap cams in and wonders will happen.

The rope trick is easy as just takes time.
Oh true so you don’t reckon just put the cam straight in, and yeah I’ve seen the rope trick just stuffing rope in the cylinder, it’s just compressing the spring I’m not sure of either.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yeah when I’m doing engine work I’ll be tourqing every bolt lol, cause yeah like you said don’t want to do it twice. I think I’ve got a problem when I do every bolt a lot tighter then it should be.
Don’t ever over tighten them,
Because you will get that gut feeling,
If I snap it off !,
I’m fire trucked !
Then you have to remove it,
And then find a replament,
and HT engine bolts are not normally not found at Bunnings.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Don’t ever over tighten them,
Because you will get that gut feeling,
If I snap it off !,
I’m fire trucked !
Then you have to remove it,
And then find a replament,
and HT engine bolts are not normally not found at Bunnings.
Yeah don’t worry mate I’ll be really careful when doing it. I’ll definitely be getting a 1/4 inch tool pro tourqe wrench. Off memory there pretty cheap.

Just to double check, when all the timing chains are off, and say I’m not doing the valve springs, should I just be able to remove the phaser, remove the cam, the cam should just slot into place, and put the cam phaser on the cam? Is the phaser got a notch in it to slot it into place, how does that work?