Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP Please- What is this? It’s leaking pink kind of oil and temp is hotter than normal.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
from this thread https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-replace-power-steering-cooler.194389/
20230505_163107-jpg.251991
20230517_165402-jpg.251992

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE
This bloke is a one man band wrecker in Nambour and has a number of VZ's.
I believe he is also a mobile mechanic.

His name is Chris Finney for memory.
Might be worth a call.
I have bought off him over the years but never had him do mechanical work.

One way to repair it ( temporary) is to cut a small piece of push bike inner tube or similar and place it over the rust hole then hold it in place clamped with a small utilux style clamp.
Fiddly but works for me on pressure water pipes in the home.

I am sure you aware it will keep leaking fluid until the power steer stops working then real trouble

Good luck with your husband, hope all goes well and he is home soon.
View attachment 266412
Thank you for this, now it’s daytime I’ve worked it out. It’s rusted and split right next to radiator and is the power steering cooling rack. Yes parts are hard to get my contact at “Holden” col gave me the details and contacts for alternate part that’s actually a transmission cooler from nursing and said they used to fit them as Holden sucked at ever having these collier coils in stock.
I’ve arranged the lube mobile mech to contact me so I can hopefully explain this to him so he can do it…?. Let’s hope so anyway. Thank you for your help and contact, I will put that in my phone as one day I may need second hand parts .

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE
Fits good on the original bracket too. :cool:
Ha, ok loved the read. Trying to arrange similar thing to happen here. Except it’s a transmission cooler but retrofitted to existing brackets yes but Holden said it’s what they put in place of the cooling rack as they were always hard to get apparently. Must of rusted and copped damage regularly so Holden found their own options. Costing me a packet tho and I’m sure there are cheaper options etc but I haven’t the time to get my head all into it all and it’s what my Holden service guy recommended and he’s been a true gem when I’ve got parts off him for the past 15years so I trust him (for parts and options) tho I’ve never trusted Holden to fix my car .

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE
Or for temporary bypass, something like this that I just bent for the fun of it (I'm bored)
and connect it where the rubber hoses are just under the radiator, easily accessible from under the car but I would put it on ramps if i were doing it cause I am too old to squirrel myself under a low car.
Once on ramps probably 15 minute job.
You are welcome to this if you want to use it, I will just cut it to suit and flare both ends.
If you are not too far away send me a PM and I will give you the address at Alex Headland.
Wow how wonderfully nice of you, thank you, so many wonderfully helpful people on here. I’ve got lube mobile coming out hopefully tomorrow. (I know, paying through the nose but I can’t drive it anywhere).

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE
He
Hi all I’m in a pickle and need to know roughly how much repairs would be as hubby is critical in hospital atm and money is non existent. It’s a 2006 VZ myo6 Ute and my pride and joy as much as I can keep it that way. Always cared for serviced regularly but I don’t know what this pipe does.? Is it power steering fluid or radiator? I feel like the hole is in the rusted part of this pipe as it’s kind of sprayed all around there. Smells like burnt toast kind of. Just found it now as I felt car was hot so looked around. Any ideas of how much this stuff is to replace with new for a mechanic if that’s where it is actually leaking from.? If it’s radiator then why is the fluid dripping oily?. No signs of oil in radiator fluid when I checked 2 days ago before this leak appeared tho there was fluid on concrete then too but I just thought it was air con. I just need some idea of what I need to find to repair this and I always like to know what things are. Haven’t looked with engine on yet as I just got home and it’s late and dark.
Many thank
Hi all I’m in a pickle and need to know roughly how much repairs would be as hubby is critical in hospital atm and money is non existent. It’s a 2006 VZ myo6 Ute and my pride and joy as much as I can keep it that way. Always cared for serviced regularly but I don’t know what this pipe does.? Is it power steering fluid or radiator? I feel like the hole is in the rusted part of this pipe as it’s kind of sprayed all around there. Smells like burnt toast kind of. Just found it now as I felt car was hot so looked around. Any ideas of how much this stuff is to replace with new for a mechanic if that’s where it is actually leaking from.? If it’s radiator then why is the fluid dripping oily?. No signs of oil in radiator fluid when I checked 2 days ago before this leak appeared tho there was fluid on concrete then too but I just thought it was air con. I just need some idea of what I need to find to repair this and I always like to know what things are. Haven’t looked with engine on yet as I just got home and it’s late and dark.
Many thanks
does anyone know if this would make the side panels (not the bonnet as that’s insulated but the 2 side panels above wheels) heat up more than normal?? They were quite hot tho the car temp on the gauge was reading pretty normal. I’m starting to wonder if I have other issues or can this leak of all the power steering fluid heat up the side panels???

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE
Many thanks
Here is the crack, it had a plastic bit that should have been clipped to side of pane next to radiator but was just floating around on top of this pipe, knocking on it and with these pipes sitting directly on the lower body there means it was sitting in water and thus rusted through , no surprise.

Attachments

• IMG_5920.png
    IMG_5920.png
    744.8 KB · Views: 38

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE
Here is the crack, it had a plastic bit that should have been clipped to side of pane next to radiator but was just floating around on top of this pipe, knocking on it and with these pipes sitting directly on the lower body there means it was sitting in water and thus rusted through , no surprise.
Oh and the power steering canaster is empty so confirmed what you all are telling me. Now it’s just hope this lube mobile mechanic is up for the job of replacing it with my chosen part (not picked up as they won’t fit customer parts but I’ve given him the details of where and from who to get it). I hope he knows his Holden’s as I hate mechanics that say they hate Holden’s.