Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with flexplate alignment marks

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
I didn't mark the flexplate to crankshaft or the flexplate to to torque converter very well before disassembly. Everything is stock. So now I'm at a loss as to how to marry it up the way it was. The flexplate has a counter weight on it so I'm guessing that's important for balancing. Flexplate also has a small 'X' stamped on the back if that helps with alignment? Thankfully I didn't clean the flexplate before realising all this which means that there are 2 dirt/hole marks opposite each other around the bolt holes which marry up with marks around the back of the crank. This means that I will either put it on the right way or it will be 180deg out. I read that during engine balancing, the flexplate should be balanced with the crank etc...but it's got the same crank/cam/balance shaft etc. Only bearings, rings etc got replaced. I guess if I get the flexplate to torque converter bolted up and not aligned properly, because it only has 3 bolts, then it will only take another 2 goes to get it right! Pain in the butt to redo the flexplate to crank bolts when the engines in so I wanna make sure I get that right. Also don't wanna damage anything. How badly can I stuff things if I don't put it all on right? I'll take some photos in the morning to add here to show the flexplate and the 'X' in case that helps jog someones memory from when they did it. Engine is still out.
Also, do I have to get new flexplate to crank bolts? What about to the TC?

Cheers in advance ;)

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
Thanks to EYY for the info on how the flexplate only aligns to the back of the block one way! :) Also got the flexplate to torque converter matched up form the old marks. For now, gonna throw the stock bolts back on to hold the flexplate to block. It says to replace them but I can always do that later if I can get some feedback please? Any thoughts on reusing old bolts if they look in real good nick? Is the concern that they might snap when torquing back up?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've reused those bolts a few times, never followed torque specs though. I just did them up tight and used loctite. Same for the torque converter to flex plate bolts.

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
I've reused those bolts a few times, never followed torque specs though. I just did them up tight and used loctite. Same for the torque converter to flex plate bolts.
Cool. Used heaps of medium strength loctite. I went with 20Nm torque then did the 50deg. Felt nice and tight during the degree turn. Got a bit worried during a couple of them but pushed on through.

Flexplate runout was almost 0.90mm. Meant to be 0.38mm. Rubber mallet didn't seem to do much. Whacked and whacked and tried all sorts of things to get it below 0.50mm runout but 0.70mm was the best I could get. Better than the 0.90mm that I started with.

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
Once it's bolted to the converter it'll straighten itself out. You've got nothing to worry about :)
I was wondering if that might be the case. Makes sense too. Good stuff ;)

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I threw ARP bolts in, cost about $30 from Aussie. Better than having the trans out again if there is an issue.

I had TTY flywheel bolts come loose on a track day in my VR4, that was a bugger, and very lucky!