Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with VL Drum Brake Removal

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Odd that it didn't have an adjuster. I'm sure mine did as i remember having to pump the brakes with each adjustment to settle the shoes.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Glad you got it off, but it does have an adjuster....The automatic adjuster works, when you brake in reverse...It allows the brakes to be adjusted correctly, instead of manually adjusting, once the initial adjustment is done.

The adjuster is shown in the picture, named as the self adjuster. The initial adjustment, or backing off is done on the left side of this piece :)

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
Glad you got it off, but it does have an adjuster....The automatic adjuster works, when you brake in reverse...It allows the brakes to be adjusted correctly, instead of manually adjusting, once the initial adjustment is done.

The adjuster is shown in the picture, named as the self adjuster. The initial adjustment, or backing off is done on the left side of this piece :)

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
VC Commodore, pretty sure mate. It looks like a self adjuster. There is no other hole/cover/plate etc. apart from the one @6-8mm hole that i used to lever the hand brake lever back.
Pair of new cylinders and shoes $67

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
VC Commodore, pretty sure mate. It looks like a self adjuster. There is no other hole/cover/plate etc. apart from the one @6-8mm hole that i used to lever the hand brake lever back.

Glad you eventually got it off, good job.
VC and myself tried to explain how to take it off and what 2 parts were there which you couldn’t see through the backing plate hole. We stated how the actuator/adjuster lever and the self adjuster star screw ratchet pushrod connecting the shoes together work. You didn’t have to bleed w/cylinder, unless you had some issues with yours probably jammed due to your leaking issue.

Further in book in how to dismantle the system after you take off the drum you would see the 2 parts as the pic showed ........Unclip the adjuster lever from the self adjuster pushrod and disconnect the lever from the spring.Remove the adjuster lever from the front b/shoe pivot.

Learnt experience is gained by making misteaks hands on, books/ pics are references/guides to get you to that experience stage of having a cognitive book memory until you experience that carowners disease called ....... “ oldtimers ” :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

There should be a rectanglar rubber grommet, as Losh mentioned, diff side of the backing plate, just below the brake cylinder bleeder screw and brake line...If that is removed, it will allow you to put a screw driver or brake adjuster, as both VIN and I mentioned, to back off the adjuster. It can't be seen quite easy, until you actually stick your noggin and possibly a torch around that hole...

It maybe called a self adjuster, but you have to adjust it to begin with, so the brake shoes touch the brake drum.....After the initial adjustment is made, they constantly adjust themselves when you brake in reverse. The reverse applies, when removing the brake drum....It has to be backed off, to enable the drum to be removed easily

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
There should be a rectanglar rubber grommet, as Losh mentioned, diff side of the backing plate, just below the brake cylinder bleeder screw and brake line...If that is removed, it will allow you to put a screw driver or brake adjuster, as both VIN and I mentioned, to back off the adjuster. It can't be seen quite easy, until you actually stick your noggin and possibly a torch around that hole...

It maybe called a self adjuster, but you have to adjust it to begin with, so the brake shoes touch the brake drum.....After the initial adjustment is made, they constantly adjust themselves when you brake in reverse. The reverse applies, when removing the brake drum....It has to be backed off, to enable the drum to be removed easily

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Sprocket wheel should be centre of self adjuster...illustration just doesn't show it that well & yes you have to adjust manually first.

Should still be similar to how you would adjust handbrake on rear disc car although not touched drum brakes in very long time lol.

I used give the drum a good tap with a hammer around it's edge then in between wheelstuds to loosen everything up...work drum back & forth by hand,belt it again if need be repeat etc.

When turning drum if there is decent amount of tension means loosen adjuster,most are loose & come off easily enough unless it's rusted together from sitting for years or something inside has come loose/broken.

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl

Anyhow, Job completed.
Appreciate everyone’s input, but FFS, there is no rectangular grommet, there is no star adjuster accessible from the back of the plate to back off the shoes. It is an automatic adjuster. There is only a @6-8mm hole which is used to lever the hand brake lever once hand brake cable has been loosened off from under the car.