Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hermitage VR senator

H

harrop.senator

I decided I might make some build threads while I hide in the air con today. So thought I'd stat with one of my favourite cars my VR series two hermitage grey senator.

Owner: Hayden Collins

Model: VR senator build 299

Colour: hermitage grey / silver

Body kit: senator two bonnets and boots one stock one with a hole and vn bulge .

One boot with stock spoiler one with s pack bobtail.

Engine Type: Holden 304 stroked/bored to 355

Engine Mods: Harrop crank, gm rods , ARP rod holts , TRW - 5cc fly cut 383 Chevy pistons, hasting rings, king bearings, 286 h retarded 4 degrees, ported VN heads, moly pushrods, harrop single plane with 4 barrel throttle body and ls1 injectors.

Power: mail order tune runs 340-360whp on dyno sheets across aus.

Current form with banana manifold back on assuming 250whp

Exhaust: genie headers , twin 2.5" hi flows , h pipe, x force res twin in twin out with balance port, redback twin in twin out muffler.

Gearbox: 4hbd currently being rebuilt , beast reaction shell, billet servos, alto carbon wide band, alto red eagle added frictions, hd2 shift kit manualised 1-3 in drive responds normally, big pan , trans cooler etc.

Was previously built n died from a broken accumulator spring .

Diff: 3.08 hydratrak ATM. Have 3.7s waiting to go in and bw cone centre to machine and shim once registered.

Brakes: c4 330's slotted front and rear braided brake lines Bendix pads. Needs more master cylinder.

Suspension: pedders sports rider fronts , bilstein sprints rear , dobinson springs urethane bushes everywhere and strut brace. Will be putting bilsteins in front when money permits.

Wheels/Tyres: 18x8.5 +15 meshies , vx as stickies ATM for pits .

Interior: factory suede with viva LA mexico covers.

Other mods: HDT head light covers , nardi steering wheel.

Stereo: Kenwood head unit, dd 110w RMS per channel 4 channel, alpine type r 6.5" fronts , type g 6.5" rears, clarion monoblock twin kicker ex subwoofers.

Future mods: respray , re fit the harrop intake once re registered ,bilstein front struts, larger rear sway bar, alpine head unit , bigger camshaft 306h or big solid still unsure. BBS style 5 wheels. Maybe hartges.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Very nice, I like, looks good . Sounds like with those mods it'd go quite nicely

H

harrop.senator

It should go alright the original plan for it is to keep it very street able as I've got two v8's and the other ones planned to not be very streetable lol.

This motor I bought in pieces un marked and a lot missing. Old owner apparently paid 10k early 2000's to have it built. Spun cylinder one and pulled it apart to go 383 and decided it was harder then the internet made it out to be.

It has A LOT of compression so ended up wilding out bit more then planned lol.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice, yeah would like a similar engine for mine ,well hopefully one day, although I do like the come/ trickshift style manifolds just don't think come one is as suitable for street use and trickshift one is dam expensive.
Yea bilstins are good, a little harsh but on a smooth road :)
I was wondering about bigger sway bars ,just don't know where money is going to come from for it this year . Bigger front brakes will hopefully be one thing that doesn't but does need doing .
What's the other v8

H

harrop.senator

This understeers hard so will be looking at onlybreplacing the rear. When I rebuild the vy subframe I've got here and install the new diff I'll be stealing the custom 600-1000lbs/inch rear springs from my Mrs ute to trial as even with the bilsteins the 400lb dobinson rears are way to soft and squats hard on launch. Almost everything I own is on coilovers with 8kgs/10kg spring set ups you sit on the guards and all that flexes is the tyres. I can't stand how boat like this car is and one day I'll nail the suspension set up.

Looking at building a boot rear subframe brace , tunnel brace and some chassis runner braces to stop it flexing.

The harrop manifold isnt exactly a street friendly option either. Looked at the low rise dual plane pro comp . need to drill press the injector bosses and machine all surfaces as China as. But when looked at one in real life the alloy casting looks quite porous and I think would breakdown from glycol seepage over a few years. My manifolds flow band is 3000-7500 from memory but that's on a 304 and this does pull 6600 .

Other v8's a Pontiac 400 was top end rebuilt to 67 judge specs with 10.6:1 with a 240 @ .050 camshaft big high rise ported ram air heads etc. Was before i knew as much engine theory. Well actually thats the motor that made me learn the hard way. Was doing it with an older mate who owns a few ponchos and he started it without me there. And hadn't compression tested it with new heads and cam wasn't big enough needed a few degrees pulled from it . Hydralocked breaking the cam in and killed two ringlands.

The size cam i need to pull the compression off was going to be way to wild with todays fuel vs the leaded they had in the sixties.

I've decided to put the emissions low comp 7.6:1 heads back on forged rods and slugs and I've got a 84? Mm holset hx55 to strap to the side of it. Waiting to finish some other projects first. Bought all new polyurethane bushes for it has new 15x8/10s with 265/295 mickeys adjustable drag ahocks and anti tramp bars and harnesses. Once I've finished buying the safety stuff like all new ball joints tie rods and the taxi barred roll cage then I'll start rebuilding the motor.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I didn't realise senators came out with manual window winders.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What's that hanging off your door card ?

Photo%2000000009_zpsuhyaw4sq.jpg

H

harrop.senator

No idea what's going on in that photo just had to go and look in the car to see if their was a cover and someone had taken it off and put it there as a joke. Photos old and even im confused was in my senator folder on my PC lol.

Just took this lol

H

harrop.senator

Just saw a manual shifter surround obviously when I was filing everything on my PC I accidentally put a picture of someone's faker or lower spec one in my folder hahahahaha.

But yeah being based on Berlin as I don't think they ever came out with manual winders. Why someone would swap a whole devonish interior n not do electric windows I don't know.

Sorry for confusion