Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
I’m thinking about getting a full external lighting conversion to HID/LED fittings professionally installed by a reputable company (Loudz Creations in Adelaide), but have heard that this is likely to cause continual error codes to appear and that they can be riddled with issues when installed.

I’m getting this done professionally to try and avoid the problem, but wanted to check if anyone had done it before and can offer advice.

Thanks for the help

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I’m thinking about getting a full external lighting conversion to HID/LED fittings professionally installed by a reputable company (Loudz Creations in Adelaide), but have heard that this is likely to cause continual error codes to appear and that they can be riddled with issues when installed.

I’m getting this done professionally to try and avoid the problem, but wanted to check if anyone had done it before and can offer advice.

Thanks for the help

it can be done without producing errors as long as the correct bulbs/hardware is used.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Really you can do it yourself but as stooge said, using the correct Canbus compatible lights…
And even if it’s professionally done just remember that LED/HID headlights remain non ADR compatible.
The stuff from Blingwork Automotive should suit your needs without error codes.
If you run the cheap stuff, you’ll get error codes for sure.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Really you can do it yourself but as stooge said, using the correct Canbus compatible lights…
And even if it’s professionally done just remember that LED/HID headlights remain non ADR compatible.
The stuff from Blingwork Automotive should suit your needs without error codes.
If you run the cheap stuff, you’ll get error codes for sure.

I’m getting it installed by Loudz Customs for around $1.2k.
That was the best price I could find and they said they’d fix error codes and align the headlights properly.

Does that sound like a reasonable price and do you happen to know anything about them?

Cheers,

Jake

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Jake Wilson if the mob is “professional” ask them if their modification is ADR compliant and if they will provide documents to back up that fact along with a vehicle engineering and a roadworthy certificate?

I’d fully expect this ”professional” mob won’t provide anything in writing as it needs to be engineering approved since LED/HID lights weren’t standard or optional on commodores. To have a hope at making such legal, you’ll have to have self levellers and headlight washers fitted and that would cost much more than $1.2k…

So, understand that just because a business does the upgrade, it doesn’t mean that your vehicle will remain roadworthy. It doesn’t mean you may not get a defect notice and it doesn’t mean your insurance may not be voided. All professional business means is that if the worst happened you’ve got an ABN number to chase through the courts.

But as long as you understand the legalities and the risks involved, you’re a big boy so do as you please.

PS: I’m referencing low beam headlamps here as high beams have different requirements around them.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I’m getting it installed by Loudz Customs for around $1.2k.
That was the best price I could find and they said they’d fix error codes and align the headlights properly.

Does that sound like a reasonable price and do you happen to know anything about them?

Cheers,

Jake

If they provide you documentation stating the low beams and other mods are ADR compliant, sure.

If not, ridiculous waste of money for a 2 hour simple DIY job (assuming you get the right lights).

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
@Jake Wilson if the mob is “professional” ask them if their modification is ADR compliant and if they will provide documents to back up that fact along with a vehicle engineering and a roadworthy certificate?

I’d fully expect this ”professional” mob won’t provide anything in writing as it needs to be engineering approved since LED/HID lights weren’t standard or optional on commodores. To have a hope at making such legal, you’ll have to have self levellers and headlight washers fitted and that would cost much more than $1.2k…

So, understand that just because a business does the upgrade, it doesn’t mean that your vehicle will remain roadworthy. It doesn’t mean you may not get a defect notice and it doesn’t mean your insurance may not be voided. All professional business means is that if the worst happened you’ve got an ABN number to chase through the courts.

But as long as you understand the legalities and the risks involved, you’re a big boy so do as you please.

PS: I’m referencing low beam headlamps here as high beams have different requirements around them.

Thanks for that info mate. I do appreciate it, sincerely.

I’ve messaged them about it and am waiting on a reply at the moment.

Just on the pricing, how much would I be looking at to get self-levellers and headlight washers? If it’s going to bankrupt me I won’t bother.

Aside from getting the LED/HID conversion what options are there for improving the light quality. I just wanted to improve the lighting as I find the stock headlights to be pretty average.

Would I be able to just get different bulbs and swap them in, and still be road legal?

Apologies for the somewhat dumb question, I’m just new to car mods and lighting isn’t something that I have a lot of knowledge about.

Thanks heaps for any help you can provide.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
If they provide you documentation stating the low beams and other mods are ADR compliant, sure.

If not, ridiculous waste of money for a 2 hour simple DIY job (assuming you get the right lights).

I’m new to car mods, so this is new to me and I’m probably just getting fed crap by a few people unfortunately.

In regards to what else I can do, should I just get new bulbs from Repco/Supercheap Auto/etc., and still be ADR compliant?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Does the VF SS come with projector low beam headlights?