Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Idle

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
When i first got my VN 5 months ago it idled nicely but recently it idles at about 850-900 and when i change gears it wont rev down therefor back gearing hardly works
any sugestions on what to do would be great :hit:

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i am not the techhead here but...

mine used to high idle, so i changed the idle valve and it worked fine. i got the idle valve second hand.

S

Sean

I had That happen on my Vn series 1 i tried everything basically ripped the engine out but in the end it was a warped butterfly in the throttlebody so i changed it over to another throttle body and it worked fine. I then inspected my old one and it made creaky noises, jammed and was warped.

Wat my car did was i would put it in Park or neutral and it'd rev high and consume my petrol :( . I'd rev it in Neutral or park and it wouldnt return to base idle 750 rpm i believe it would just stay at the revs i revved it to. UNTIL i put it into reverse or any of the forward gears and it'd go right down.

Hope this helps. btw i changed all the sensors on it and the computer off another vn then tried the throttle body put my original sensors back on eg PCV valves etc but simply try another throttle body off another VN or VP and see if it works correctly (i know that'd be the first thing I'd look at) and yeah i didnt notice the warped butterfly until i looked at it off of the engine :S

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
All the above plus I would be checking the engine over with a can of WD40 for any vaccumm leaks - sounds like thats the culprit.

cheers

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Have you had it serviced since you have had it?
My VN used to do the same when I first got it, but I serviced it majorly, ie: plugs, leads, filters(fuel, air and oil) and new oil and it fixed the problem........
So if it's due for one service it first then look to other options if it's still like it.....
Cheers