Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

ProfMopar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 Auto
Just had the walky W407 kit fitted to the MSE and couldn't be happier with the result. It was always part of the plan for this car but wanted to run her in first and experience the car in standard form for a while first so it's kinda like getting a new car again the change is that big.
Firstly it sounds so much better, while not obnoxiously loud it is louder and deeper, it losses the crackle pop of the standard system and to be honest I was a bit over that, at idle it sounds great, can definitely tell she's been cammed.
The engine bay looks way better without the ugly factory air box and those ceramic headers look awesome, I painted the W407 badge black to match the black on red theme of the car.
The performance is chalk and cheese, while not real noticeable under 3500rpm when you put the boot in absolutely bloody hammers, it's now a seriously fun car to drive. The thing I wasn't really wasn't expecting is how much the car rocks and shakes randomly at idle for such a baby cam, at the lights you do get rocked around a little but for me it's all part of the experience of driving a modified car.
Can't speak highly enough of this package, yeah it's pricey and a lot of people on here bag the walkie kits but you get a quality product that's been well researched and just works so well.

View attachment 194807 View attachment 194808

Good to hear, B66. Even though I'm on the record espousing the eschewing of modifications on the limited edition, best-ever Holdens, I must say I am tempted to do similar to yourself. I think the W407 pack is great - I know I have said that the "407" bit is somewhat fanciful - I still love the actual result regardless of the true number. And the more I think of it, I ain't gonna be selling my MSE (hopefully), so the investment value is essentially zero. Therefore, why not hot rod it a little?
I drove a W407 a while back and loved it, I think the cam is about right for a daily driver/interstate cruiser. Some may disagree. I may even research more fully the Harrop cams and the Comp cams. I know the W407 is a little pricey, but the over all result with the fascia/OTR etc is pretty good, and for anyone non-mechanical it is a safe and effective solution.
Tell me, if you haven't already done so, describe what happens from a standing start if you just floor it - does it light 'em up, or is the modest low end torque insufficient to stress the 275s out back? And describe what happens when you drop it back at 100km/h, flat to the floor, passing a truck say. Thanks in anticipation....when I drove the W407 I wasn't thinking about similar going in my MSE.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
G'day EternityDre, I've noticed the same thing, a bit notchy from 1st to 2nd for the first couple of minutes/changes as though the oil has drained from the shift mechanisim. I don't get any noise, just extra effort to change. When you say grinding, do you mean the actual gears are grinding as though there's a synchro issue, I'm not experiencing that. They run ATF and are supposedly filled for life. I'd suggest speaking to a dealership first to find out if there is a Holden endorsed fix, maybe a friction modifier. As the transmission runs an oil pump for the cooling system I'd be hesitant to use a heavier grade oil. Option may be to just start in 2nd until she warms up. Its a little surprising that this problem exists considering alot of the upgrades from the T56 to the 6060 were aimed at improving shift quality. There was also a manual tramsmission vibration issue some time back but nothing seems to have come of that. I will say that appart from this minor issue which might go away as the box wears in, shift quality is fantastic considering the torque capacity.
Can read some of the specs here;
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TR-6060.pdf
My MY16 Redline is manual and the shift is great and no vibration. Compare it to my MY17 Motorsport and the shift 1st to 2nd is very tight and notchy, sometimes it wont let me select first or reverse, I also have a terrible vibration shudder with the manual trans when clutching, gets worse as the car warms up. Its going to the dealer on Thursday to get sussed out. Only has 500km on the clock. I hope it might be a heat shield rattle or some sort.

On another note, seems there is another hold up with Directors and the same gloss black body side moulding.

Last edited:

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
On another note, seems there is another hold up with Directors and the dame gloss black body side molding.

Hi

Do you know if the hold up with the Directors is because of lack of supply of existing black body side moulds or are they working on a revised design for the black door side mould?

If I am not wrong did I read somewhere that Holden may have an issue with the side black door moulds and the existing way they were mounted which would probably include existing Directors such as mine?

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Hi
Do you know if the hold up with the Directors is because of lack of supply of existing black body side moulds or are they working on a revised design for the black door side mould?
If I am not wrong did I read somewhere that Holden may have an issue with the side black door moulds and the existing way they were mounted which would probably include existing Directors such as mine?
Regards,
RTSV6UTE

Some have been released, my mate's Director arrived at the dealer today, was built mid august.

The black body side moldings are not sticking properly. The chrome version on the calais are stiffer due to the chroming. The ones for the Director are painted so not as stiff and are curling and pulling away from the panel, from what I've been told.

Colonel6061

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
Some have been released, my mate's Director arrived at the dealer today, was built mid august.

The black body side moldings are not sticking properly. The chrome version on the calais are stiffer due to the chroming. The ones for the Director are painted so not as stiff and are curling and pulling away from the panel, from what I've been told.
Interesting, my director is due to go down the line next Wednesday, I presume they are still making them but just just parking them pending the moulding issue fix, I would be happy with the chrome moulding truth be known, but I have ordered a black director so the chrome would be fine but would prob detract from the other colours. Is anyone aware if they are in fact still building the directors vs pushing through the other models first ?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The ones for the Director are painted so not as stiff and are curling and pulling away from the panel, from what I've been told.

Just needs more sikaflex.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Just needs more sikaflex.
Sikaflex, tek screw, some bog to smooth off the screw head and some touch up paint and those trims wont be going anywhere in a hurry.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Sikaflex, tek screw, some bog to smooth off the screw head and some touch up paint and those trims wont be going anywhere in a hurry.

This guy is half way there.....just needs more bog.

$_20.PNG

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Dealers extended warranties are covered by insurance companies so if you do any modifications then the chances of them covering you is zero.
So hence why it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

You are correct re the insurance but like statutory warranties, any modification would need to be shown to have contributed to the failure. Eg burnt out piston and a modded ECU will be a fight and a half to get under warantee but the same car with premature wear on the seats/interior trim falling apart should be ok.

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
My MY16 Redline is manual and the shift is great and no vibration. Compare it to my MY17 Motorsport and the shift 1st to 2nd is very tight and notchy, sometimes it wont let me select first or reverse, I also have a terrible vibration shudder with the manual trans when clutching, gets worse as the car warms up. Its going to the dealer on Thursday to get sussed out. Only has 500km on the clock. I hope it might be a heat shield rattle or some sort.

On another note, seems there is another hold up with Directors and the same gloss black body side molding.
I'd be interested to hear the outcome of that Super Coach, sounds a bit like a sticky clutch plate. You could try a couple of 3rd gear starts with a few revs to see if that makes any difference. Does the notchy initial 1st/reverse gear selection ease up after a minute or two of driving and can you remember whether the Reline's transmission was the same when it was new?