Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
So I think I have pin pointed the wind whistle for the drivers side mirror. I placed some tape around the puddle lamp and didn't get any wind whistle happening whilst driving. I will try it a few more time to be sure, before I confirm this.

Are there any Holden engineers on here that can confirm that the manual trans/clutch is the same as a MY16 Redline or is there a change? I keep getting this rattle/vibration, when slight clutching/ letting clutch out slowly whilst applying revs on a slight incline. Almost as if the clutch is chattering. The dealer checked everything is tight underneath the car which is now leading me towards something mechanical.

My MY16 Redline does not do this and I have found another manual MSE in Adelaide to compare. I have the dealer telling me the manual trans/clutch is different in a Motorsport.

I am also getting a bit of a whine in 2nd gear whilst slowing up (similar to the Saginaw whine in a 1969 HT Holden) would this be normal?

Thanks.

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
Hi all

It has been 24 days since I picked up my new Director and I went and paid it a little visit as it is kept in storage. The car started first time without missing a beat and I installed a trickle charger which took me approx 5 minutes as the existing battery connectors on the vehicle had a place to screw on my trickle charger cable.

I checked all of my black door side moulds and they all seem to be stuck very well to the vehicle but it has only travelled 46km's which were all done on the day I picked it up. Well my lovely session was short lived, I turned on the trickle charger and locked the vehicle and said goodbye to my true love, it felt like seeing relatives off at an international airport but I turned around and looked at my Director and said "I'll be back!".

I go back on the 30th of September and will take it for a nice drive and I am also booked in for tinted windows to be installed on that day.

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

ProfMopar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 Auto
Hey thanks for that idea, didnt think of it. The whistle only occurs when the mirror is in its position. When I fold it in, the whistle goes, so perhaps it is not the base but the mirror housing itself, but then again wind does have funny properties and goe in all directions, so I hope its not a window seal or anything like that. On my facebook page "Holden Motorsport Edition Owners" I have posted videos and updates about it all. Are you a Member?
Not on FB, Super coach.

ProfMopar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 Auto
So I think I have pin pointed the wind whistle for the drivers side mirror. I placed some tape around the puddle lamp and didn't get any wind whistle happening whilst driving. I will try it a few more time to be sure, before I confirm this.

Are there any Holden engineers on here that can confirm that the manual trans/clutch is the same as a MY16 Redline or is there a change? I keep getting this rattle/vibration, when slight clutching/ letting clutch out slowly whilst applying revs on a slight incline. Almost as if the clutch is chattering. The dealer checked everything is tight underneath the car which is now leading me towards something mechanical.

My MY16 Redline does not do this and I have found another manual MSE in Adelaide to compare. I have the dealer telling me the manual trans/clutch is different in a Motorsport.

I am also getting a bit of a whine in 2nd gear whilst slowing up (similar to the Saginaw whine in a 1969 HT Holden) would this be normal?

Thanks.
Good news re the whistle.

Re: Clutch chatter in the manner you describe is typically due to abnormal disc/flywheel engagement. Most likely cause is grease or oil (even small amounts) on the disc. This is easy to do if the assembler was distract briefly by his Adelaide Crows mate asking him how the Power are going. Next most likely explanation would be a damaged disc - only a small nick is required. Again, possibly missed during assembly. Third most likely is incorrect engine/clutch alignment - probably harder to get wrong these days, but theoretically possible. Fourth most likely would be loose or broken engine mounts - sometimes clutch chatter is the only symptom.
If the symptom persists, the car needs to go back to the dealer for a proper inspection. If it slowly improves, grease or other substance on the disc was probably it.
If the 2nd gear whine is genuinely new (and developing), incorrect engine/trans alignment would soar to number one possibility.

All in all, a bit of a pain in the neck on a new car, I'm afraid.

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Good news re the whistle.

Re: Clutch chatter in the manner you describe is typically due to abnormal disc/flywheel engagement. Most likely cause is grease or oil (even small amounts) on the disc. This is easy to do if the assembler was distract briefly by his Adelaide Crows mate asking him how the Power are going. Next most likely explanation would be a damaged disc - only a small nick is required. Again, possibly missed during assembly. Third most likely is incorrect engine/clutch alignment - probably harder to get wrong these days, but theoretically possible. Fourth most likely would be loose or broken engine mounts - sometimes clutch chatter is the only symptom.
If the symptom persists, the car needs to go back to the dealer for a proper inspection. If it slowly improves, grease or other substance on the disc was probably it.
If the 2nd gear whine is genuinely new (and developing), incorrect engine/trans alignment would soar to number one possibility.

All in all, a bit of a pain in the neck on a new car, I'm afraid.
I was thinking along the same lines Professor re clutch with the added possibility that as the engines are manufactured in the US would rust protection be applied to the flywheel prior to crating and shipping. The fly wheel is machined CI or steel and needs to be protected. Just a thought, if it slipped down the line without being cleaned it would certainly answer the questions raised in SC's case. If that or something similar is the cause the clutch should be changed due to contamination in addition to the flywheel being properly cleaned. Also, gears are helically cut, there should be no whine from the gearbox at all.

Colonel6061

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
I did but mine didn't say Hi Tim
Hi GMHDIR, very funny, when is your director due ? I have not received an email that says anything, it's due to be built tomorrow, have you or the other guys heard anything lately in relation to the side moulding issues on the directors and have they found a fix as yet, the dealer knows bugger all, prob not his fault if Holden are not keeping them updated.

GMHDIR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V / Director
Hi GMHDIR, very funny, when is your director due ? I have not received an email that says anything, it's due to be built tomorrow, have you or the other guys heard anything lately in relation to the side moulding issues on the directors and have they found a fix as yet, the dealer knows bugger all, prob not his fault if Holden are not keeping them updated.
Hi Colonel
Ours was due to be assembled on the 29th of August and at the dealership on the 4th of September , it was actually assembled on the 23rd and has been in the car park at Elizabeth ever since , I received a phone call from Fishermans Bend on the 8th saying they expect it to be at the dealership around the 20th , I called live chat last Friday , they said they've been fitting some new mouldings and leaving them for 72 hours before letting the cars go , so we should maybe allow another week , sorry if that's more info than you wanted but it's doing my head in , hopefully with a bit of luck yours might stay on schedule

Colonel6061

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
Hi Colonel
Ours was due to be assembled on the 29th of August and at the dealership on the 4th of September , it was actually assembled on the 23rd and has been in the car park at Elizabeth ever since , I received a phone call from Fishermans Bend on the 8th saying they expect it to be at the dealership around the 20th , I called live chat last Friday , they said they've been fitting some new mouldings and leaving them for 72 hours before letting the cars go , so we should maybe allow another week , sorry if that's more info than you wanted but it's doing my head in , hopefully with a bit of luck yours might stay on schedule
Don't apologise mate, it's very frustrating, esp after such a long wait like we've had then to only have to wait even longer. That was a good update for me, I've not tried live chat myself for a long time, I might give them a buzz myself. Good luck with yours and I look forward to you posting a few pics on delivery, cheer mate