Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Any other suggestions for someone who will cover my modified car in the Melbourne CBD in a shared private carpark?
No suggestions other than it’s best to ringing around and ask the question so you can get the answer direct from the horses mouth.

But whatever you do, make sure you read the PDS in detail as some clauses and conditions can be shocking. IIRC, Enthusiasts can discount the payout based on % tyre wear, the amount of rust repairs required (not relevant in a newer new car), and other such stuff. Not all policies are the same.

Oh, and last time I rang Shannons in 2020, they offered to insure my LE for $120k so you may want to take up the opportunity to reevaluate your agreed value with whomever you choose to insure with…

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Don't forget that the cheaper the modded-car insurance, the less likely they'll actually pay out if you need to make a claim.

People with money in premium CBD apartments often have parking in their building that suits the insurer; like separate cages with their own lockable doors, or the fanciest ones have actual proper private garages. I did know someone, yonks ago, who rented-out his (not caged off) parking spot to someone, and rented a caged spot in a neighbouring building that cost basically the same as he was getting for rent (and the neighbouring building's parking was barely any further to walk than getting from his own spot) (and he lived in the CBD so he didn't need a car that often anyway).

Having said that, there used to be all sorts of expensive things parked permanently in the Ernst & Young under-building car-park (office block only - no residential) in North Sydney, from new Ferraris & Lamborghinis to various project-cars like a very neat looking Cooper S and a Giocattolo (?sp?) and an original Alpine (110S I think) ... even stuff like camper-trailers, jet-skis & boats.

I think Shannons may also have a problem with it not being garaged, although "garaged" means different things to different insurers (some it means under cover behind locked doors/gates and off the street, others they do want it in a lockable garage).
It was like that at my previous workplace. So many people stored their Motorsports and other fancy cars like a HQ Monaro in the car park. I think there was one magnum but there was never a Director stored in the carpark. There were other car like two VS SS Commodores that were identical that were parked side by side.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The there is this.....https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-...-vehicle/4a6b151f-c464-43f6-a5d0-f82ee0f05021

"Security footage shows three people breaking into the underground carpark of an apartment complex in Arncliffe and towing the Walkinshaw out."
WTF.. did i hear that right,... he had no insurance?

Report says those low-lifes simply waited for the doors to open and then went in... So it's hardly breaking into the car park in the traditional sence :oops:
Maybe it could be trespass if they didn't have a reason to be there but definately theft of an uninsured car possibly worth $250k+ :eek:

If the guy had insurance, the question is whether the company would decine the claim if the conditions of storgae weren't as stated during policy application, that is, it wasn't in a locked garage (where an underground carpark seems to not constitue a locked garage) :mad: Guess it very much depends on the wording of the questions when he applying for the policy :rolleyes:

I guess it's a warning to all of us to never assume stuff and always always read the PDF in detail and with a critical eye o_O

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The there is this.....https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-...-vehicle/4a6b151f-c464-43f6-a5d0-f82ee0f05021

"Security footage shows three people breaking into the underground carpark of an apartment complex in Arncliffe and towing the Walkinshaw out."
That was Arncliffe, it's both normal & expected in Arncliffe.
If you rent a place in Arncliffe for 2 years & don't have something stolen or get threatened in the street by someone with a knife, you can sue your landlord for breach-of-social-contract.

WTF.. did i hear that right,... he had no insurance?
Wow, how stupid is it to orchestrate an insurance job without insurance?!
But I guess nobody said illegal criminals (as opposed to the legal ones like Murdoch & Bezos) were smart.

Oh, and last time I rang Shannons in 2020, they offered to insure my LE for $120k so you may want to take up the opportunity to reevaluate your agreed value with whomever you choose to insure with…
Also with Shannons I'm pretty convinced that it depends on who you end-up talking to; they still employ enthusiasts in whatever call-centre you talk to during business-hours when calling from Sydney, and the HSV/Holden enthusiast is IMHO more likely to agree to a large insured-value than the JDM enthusiast.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Lumley have advised that they cannot cover me at my CBD address because they will only insure cars of this value if they are in a private garage.
How did this come about. Did they query the garaging arrangement when changing your address or did you tell them?

In most cases, garaged means it's not parked in the open or on the street, it's not about how many cars the "garage" holds.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
How did this come about. Did they query the garaging arrangement when changing your address or did you tell them?

In most cases, garaged means it's not parked in the open or on the street, it's not about how many cars the "garage" holds.

I told them as part of my renewal, as I want to move the car from where its been stored to my residential address so I can use it more often.

Tomorrow I'll ring around and report back RE Shannons, Enthusiast, etc.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow, how stupid is it to orchestrate an insurance job without insurance?!
Didn't think it was orchestrated by the owner though the tow strap used in the theft look similar to the strap seen later in the video visible (in some rebuild pics) :rolleyes: I just find it odd not to have some form of insurance with such a vehicle:(
Also with Shannons I'm pretty convinced that it depends on who you end-up talking to; they still employ enthusiasts in whatever call-centre you talk to during business-hours when calling from Sydney, and the HSV/Holden enthusiast is IMHO more likely to agree to a large insured-value than the JDM enthusiast.
Yes they do employ enthusiasts and the chap I was talking to knew his cars. The offer of $120k valuation wasn’t solicited by me, it was his attempt to be competitive and as he couldn’t lower the premium to get anywhere near my current premium raising yje valuation was the only gig he could play :D

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Tomorrow I'll ring around and report back RE Shannons, Enthusiast, etc.
Shannons are okay to insure me at my CBD address, but asked that I get a GPS tracker to bolster the alarm/immobiliser that came with the car from factory. Unfortunately they're $1000 more expensive than Lumley (which is why I switched from Shannons to Lumley in the first place), so I'm going to go back to Lumley and see if they'll budge if I get a GPS tracker. Unlikely, but worth a try. Based on feedback in this thread I'm hesitant to bother with Enthusiast.

Edit: As expected, Lumley is a hard no, they can't change what they're allowed to underwrite, they're just passing on a product and have no ground on this.

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Shannons are okay to insure me at my CBD address, but asked that I get a GPS tracker to bolster the alarm/immobiliser that came with the car from factory. Unfortunately they're $1000 more expensive than Lumley (which is why I switched from Shannons to Lumley in the first place), so I'm going to go back to Lumley and see if they'll budge if I get a GPS tracker. Unlikely, but worth a try. Based on feedback in this thread I'm hesitant to bother with Enthusiast.
I'll store your MS in my closed garage in the outer suburbs :cool: